• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Guys, I sold my 2002. After our last trip with the camper to Florida, we decided that the truck was just too loud for us. She gave us great service and am sad to hear (haha) her go. Thanks again for your help, time and insight as I tried to make my vehicle the best it could be. I posted in the classifieds some parts I removed before the sale. I have mirrors, and edge ez, shift kit and filter, and a fuel filter for sale.

If anyone is interested , let me know.

Yes, mileage will be reduced but I can live with it as I don't live but a few miles from work. I really liked the dodge but it was really difficult to ride fo4 a few thousand miles listening to the vp 44 knock away. Newer quiet diesels were just a but too expensive yet for us, so we found something with similar power.

i could be wrong but i think maybe your truck had maybe minor issues, like maybe valves needed adjusted or injectors,  i say this cause i bought mine it had 40,000miles and it was noisier then than now at 150,000... reading this post reminds me of just how it rattled and knocked at idle and low throttle but don't recall it being noticeable  at highway speeds even towing or hauling..  these 24valve knock and rattle at idle. low rpm. but most of that clears out about 1500-2000rpms 

That ford v10 is pretty good engine though, just has a heathy appetite for Gas, =8MPG towing but anymore gas is cheaper than diesel  so it may =out

If one could get the engine tune they use in motorhomes and other bigger vehicles would be ok, but they are so dead A$$ doggy in pickups its pathetic. I have driven quite a few of them and I would not own one in a pickup, even ford guys hated them versus the 460 engine in pickups but take a Ford v10 in a 30+ foot motor home chassis and they are fire breathing tire burning monsters and do the same mileage as pickups.

I do not miss the noise of my 02 either versus my 05 overall. The only thing I miss about my 02 was the driver seat was way more comfy, other than that don't miss any of the three 2nd gens I owned in comparison to the 05.

AGPturbo that's unfortunate. I had a similar issue that I remedied using butyl rubber sound dampener mats from Noico(can be ordered from Amazon) and Second Skin Damplifier Pro in the door panels.

According to many the common issue is structure borne sound the butyl rubber mats helped tremendously with this issue. For a 2nd gen quad cab or extended cab 34 Sq Ft of material is required for the task. The back wall is the key cause of the drone and the transmission tunnel and driver/passenger floor pans are also key areas. I wish I knew more people had this issue because I could very well write a thread about it.

• Like 3

• Owner

Don't come to my area of Idaho gasoline price are typically 10 to 20 cents higher now vs. diesel price.

As for noise reduction. I've re-installed my silencer ring in the turbo, added a 3" straight through muffler, then adjust the valve lash to 0.008 (intake) and 0.018 (exhaust). Run 2 cycle oil which reduces the knock sound levels. I know of some people pulling the carpet up and adding sound deadening material to the firewall and the floor board. Truly my 24V is fairly quiet compared to most others.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/71-2-cycle-oil-engine-noise-reduction

But it would be awesome to create a article for a quiet Dodge Cummins and how to get there.

• Like 1

I don't think my truck is very loud and it doesn't annoy me in the least.  Of course 17 years working around Fighter Jets may have something to do with that :doh: I should have taken hearing protection more seriously.

Don't come to my area of Idaho gasoline price are typically 10 to 20 cents higher now vs. diesel price.

As for noise reduction. I've re-installed my silencer ring in the turbo, added a 3" straight through muffler, then adjust the valve lash to 0.008 (intake) and 0.018 (exhaust). Run 2 cycle oil which reduces the knock sound levels. I know of some people pulling the carpet up and adding sound deadening material to the firewall and the floor board. Truly my 24V is fairly quiet compared to most others.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/71-2-cycle-oil-engine-noise-reduction

But it would be awesome to create a article for a quiet Dodge Cummins and how to get there.

MICHAEL,, IM GLAD YOU POSTED THIS,  i pondered for a good while if it was just me or if it was real,  i can tell a difference when i get fuel and don't put in the 2-stroke, i try and not do that but it has happened a time or two with me forgetting and not having any.