• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Black smoke, no RPM, new injectors needed?

So, the truck runs, but not great. I get the puff of black smoke when it first starts, but under acceleration, I start seeing big black smoke I've not seen before.  the truck is stock, with the exception of an Airdog 150, and has about 340k miles.   the injector are stock, and I've lost power recently.  

I'm not sure if the power loss is due to the injectors being worn, or the fact that my RPM will go to zero, and the pump misses, like an ECU connection issue.  when the RPM gauge is working, the truck has power, when the RPM gauge goes to zero, and hard acceleration makes it almost roll coal, with no power.

I'm hoping that its a bad connection at the ECU which puts the VP44 in some limp mode, the only DTC using an INNOVA 3100 scanner, was a P0341 code, which I cleared.

Thanks for any help, 

GSX455

code# 341 Camshaft Position Sensor signal missing,    EITHER your cam sensor is bad or you have wire or connection issues. Im guessing that the black smoke is coming from the fact that by not having a signal from cam sensor the VP44 fuel delivery timing is off causing the miss and smoke

Edited by rburks
  • Like 1

• Owner

Basically I would start with changing out the cam sensor. Which in this case is the tach sensor for the 2001 to 2002 model trucks. So that explains the tach drop out. But If the sensor doesn't fix the issue I would say its time to ohm test the wiring. Yes a loss a tach signal will put it into limp mode.

• Like 2

The code popped back up the next morning.  I knew, but I had hoped I was wrong that the cam sensor is located behind the injection pump.  So I'm not the best wrench turner, and my last injection pump R&R took about 3.5 hours.   :rolleyes: .  The black smoke was there even when the tach was working and I had power, so one thing at a time.  Thanks for the pic, and helpful comments.

I would replace your cam sensor first,  If it was reading off you could find that the injection event might be to early or to late causing overfueling, IE black smoke.

If the pump R&R took 3.5 hours last time it will only take 2 this time  :thumb1:

There is only one bolt holding the cam sensor in place, check out the picture above.

I findi it easier to take the two bolts out that hold the vacuum pump tight to the timing case and push it backwards. Then just get it from underneath.

• Like 1

There is only one bolt holding the cam sensor in place, check out the picture above.

I findi it easier to take the two bolts out that hold the vacuum pump tight to the timing case and push it backwards. Then just get it from underneath.

yep, your right, It's been a few yrs. guess I remembered it wrong, happens a lot seams anymore ... Positive I never removed Vac or Vp pump though.. And IIRC didn't take long at all to R/I.

Thanks TFaoro

• Like 1

• Owner

Most can get the screw out with a socket torx and then lightly tug on the sensor wiring. It will come out far enough to allow you to unplug the sensor. Hook up the new sensor and place the screw in the hole with tool in the screw and guide the assembly back in the hole carefully.

That's at least how I been told to do it... I've never had to change mine yet.

This is how I did mine. Had all the same symptoms.

YOU CAN replace cam sensor without Removing VP,, have done so several times, there are 2-#10 Torx screws. i used torx bit socket and 1/4" ratchet and ex long extension 

Oh, thank God, I remember when I replaced my VP44, the tappet cover gasket started leaking right after I put the pump on.  I was pretty mad at the truck, for no good reason.

Will try it this weekend, thank for the tip. :thumb1:   Also, has anyone used the JC Whitney dash cover replacement for  $210, or just pay the extra $130 and get the new dash from Geno's Garage?

Oh, thank God, I remember when I replaced my VP44, the tappet cover gasket started leaking right after I put the pump on.  I was pretty mad at the truck, for no good reason.

Will try it this weekend, thank for the tip. :thumb1:   Also, has anyone used the JC Whitney dash cover replacement for  $210, or just pay the extra $130 and get the new dash from Geno's Garage?

I used the LMC Truck dash pad. Color and fit were great. It list for $259.95. There is a large part charge and shipping. Still might be a little cheaper than Geno's. Chec them out. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=37