• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have a 99 Cummins with 109,955 miles on it. I have noticed I had white smoke coming out of the blow by tube but not anything noticeable unless im stopped for a few minutes.  if I take the oil cap off it blows a little white out of it but not like clouds of it.  So next I did the oil cap test and removed it and flipped it upside down and it didn't bounce around or move (except a little due to vibrations of the engine).  the truck runs awesome no lack in power perfect pick up and go, it doesn't smoke except a little black on start up and doesn't eat coolant or oil.  No knocking either.  The oil pressure is around 30-35 at idle and at normal cruising speeds of 55mph at around 1800 rpm its around 40-42 and the temp never rises above 192.  my question is, is this normal im new to Cummins and should I worry

Your oil pressure is good for idle but for high speed I think it is low. I know my Cummins oil pressure is about 70-80 pounds at 60mph. I am not saying you have a problem, just mine is different.

80PSI! :wow:  That's high. I didn't realize the gauge even went that far. Mines closer to the OP. A little blow by is normal and it sounds like your fine. But a  vacuum leak will cause it also. Does your 4WD and heater vent door work?

Yes the 4x4 works good doesn't like going out all the time and the heater vent seems to work good I use the a/c and it switches fine if I stomp on it it will get closer to 55-60 but never over that also when I first start the truck for the day the oil is at about 42 psi but drops to about 35 when warm. truck doesn't hesitate at all

Edited by 99rcummins

I don't think you have anything to worry about. A little smoke is normal, many report it, and you're not blowing the cap off. My PSI is very similar to yours. Check it in another 109k when it's finally broken in and it might be even better. :thumb1:

Thanks for the replies I think it's an issue only because I have a 7.3 Ford idi that had blow by a bit worse and ended up having bad rod bearings, rings and valves so I'm a bit apprehensive when I see this its a beautiful truck never beatin it was used all its life for transporting two Morgan horses I love this truck and just have to check but you all know how I feel because you to love the Cummins

Edited by 99rcummins

As far as oil pressure goes put a manual gauge on to really check pressure, sending units will lie about actual psi they are a great indicator of pressure but not actual numbers. As long as the needle is moving up down you are probably OK. I am a little old school when it comes right down to it. Don't fix it if it ain't broke...... :thumb1:

Buddy of mine had his 03 CR totally dusted due to a bad air filter and maintenance and was burning a quart of oil in 100 miles and the filler cap test was nill at no load idle or even revved a bit, didn't move at all but it was leaving puddles of oil out the breather tube where ever he parked.