• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok thanks however reading on parts sites the syncros for the early 5600 are no longer avaliable and have to be changed to a later modle and they say the corresponding gears have to be changed does any one know about this

Hmm I hadn't read about that. You have a pretty rare duck there.... the early 5600's don't come up very often.... I guess just another reason I'd consider a late 5600 or a 4500

• Staff

NV4500 are cheaper and available being they where used in more than just Dodge trucks. Yes they are pretty darn strong. When I can get the tires to break loose in 4th. No 5th gear issues or input shaft issues.

Being able to break the tires loose in 4th doesn't tell you anything about the strength of the transmission it simply tells you that your are low on traction. 2nd gen rear suspension seems to be much more prone to allowing wheel slip than 3rd gens.

They are a strong transmission but do have a lower input rating than the NV5600. The highest OEM torque they received was 460, where the NV5600 went up to 610 lb/ft.

They are defiantly cheap and more are available, but not all NV4500's are the HD version needed for the Cummins application.

The only difference is down low gears. They added the between 2nd and 3rd gear on the 5 speed. Because the last two gears in both transmissions are exactly the same. 3rd gear is a rather a long reach to get to 4th when towing stock. But I'm no where near stock nor do I have that issues any longer. Stock power you will need the extra gear for steep mountain forestry roads and towing.

Yes splitting 3rd into 2 gears is a big improvement. It also allows for a slightly different 2nd ratio.

Power is one of the reasons, but even with added power you are straining the trams more than needed. Torque at low rpm is what is hard on parts.

Just to clarify the top gear is slightly different between the two. The NV4500 is a 0.75:1 and the NV5600 is a 0.73:1.

Now I just want a 7 speed.. Similar ratios to the NV5600 on 1-5 and a 0.82:1 6th and a 0.65:1 7th.

• Like 1

• Owner
And a GV would be nice too if they weren't so expensive.

There was a few that mention that GV boxes tend to create issues. Something about the extra gear up put extra stress on the input shaft.

Being able to break the tires loose in 4th doesn't tell you anything about the strength of the transmission it simply tells you that your are low on traction.

Give it a try in stock truck it won't happen. Yes, I'm limiting my traction so I'm not breaking the input shaft. But a whole 1.1" inch reduction vs 265's in tire face isn't a huge deal breaker either.

Bit of history to toss in...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear

New Process Gear History

In 1888 Thomas W. Meachem founded the New Process Rawhide Company in Baldwinsville New York. In the late 1890s New Process Rawhide moved operations to Syracuse after a fire. In 1913 Thomas W. Meachem reorganized New Process Rawhide with one of his partners Artemus Vosburgh. The company was renamed New Process Gear to reflect the new corporate direction. In 1954, after a succession of owners including Willys-Overland,[4] New Process Gear became a subsidiary of Chrysler Corporation.[5] In 1990, under a new joint GM - Chrylser venture, New Process Gear was renamed "New Process Gear Division" of New Venture Gear. In 1998 Daimler Benz merged with Chrysler to form Daimler Chrysler. In 2002 Daimler Chrysler bought the entire 36% minority stake in New Venture Gear from GM while retaining ownership of the Syracuse New Process facilities. In 2004 Canada based Magna International purchased 80% of New Venture Gear from Daimler Chrysler. In 2007 Magna purchased the remaining 20% interest. The New Process gear plant remained property of Daimler Chrysler. Chrysler then leased the facilities to Magna.[6] This lease arrangement made it difficult to compete with the European manufacturing operation Magna directly purchased located in Roitzsch Germany.[7] A downturn in Jeep demand combined with DaimlerChrysler not replacing the Dodge Neon sharply curtailed demand for the Syracuse New Process Gear plant production. In 2009 design and engineering services were moved to Troy Michigan and Magna International announced its intent to close the Syracuse plant. The Syracuse New Process Gear plant planned closure in November 2011 was pushed out till 1st quarter of 2012.[8] After 124 years on Thursday August 24, 2012 New Process Gear ended production and closed their doors for the last time.[9]

Being able to break the tires loose in 4th doesn't tell you anything about the strength of the transmission it simply tells you that your are low on traction. 2nd gen rear suspension seems to be much more prone to allowing wheel slip than 3rd gens.

They are a strong transmission but do have a lower input rating than the NV5600. The highest OEM torque they received was 460, where the NV5600 went up to 610 lb/ft.

They are defiantly cheap and more are available, but not all NV4500's are the HD version needed for the Cummins application.

1200 ft lbs to the ground and the stock input still hasn't broken.... wasn't even twisted when I had the trans out 3 weeks ago.

Well darn see im a mechanic for a living so rebuilding it dont bother me i was thinkin it would save me a little money but have been un able to get clear facts on puttin late syncros in a earlt 5600

Wish I could help more, but there just isn't much info on the early versions. Rebuilding them is pretty straight forward though.