• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rear End Help. Dana 70-2u

Ok, I have an 2001 4x4 2500 eclb 192k power lok. BOM tag is gone and it has had a diff bearing change, one side is koyo other it timken. My rear end is stamped D702U. 

First off what is the 2U and I pulled it apart I have a pinion bearing going and found out that the spider gears were looking bad and the clutches for the lsd are toast. When I pulled the diff there was no shims on either side. does that sound correct at all?

Ya, I am going to do it myself. I can't see paying someone to do it when I can figure it out. I have found a little info here and there to get the job done. Just for the life of me I don't understand why they would half *** it like that.

Now the shims do they fit down in where the axel tube is or do they sit between the housing and the bearing? I am going to get parts ordered this week.

The shims for the carrier are in between the bearing and the case of the carrier so if you were expecting to see them fall out with the carrier you will not, requires the carrier side bearings to be pulled to get to the shims, to shim a carrier one need dummy bearings which are oversized on the inside race to slip on the carrier housing by hand not requiring them to be pressed on and pulled each time to install and remove about a dozen times to get the correct shim thickness setup.

That is a huge advantage of the AAM versus a Dana axle, shimming danas can be a royal pain to set up versus the simple threaded adjuster ring on the AAM setup.

• Like 1

The shims for the carrier are in between the bearing and the case of the carrier so if you were expecting to see them fall out with the carrier you will not, requires the carrier side bearings to be pulled to get to the shims, to shim a carrier one need dummy bearings which are oversized on the inside race to slip on the carrier housing by hand not requiring them to be pressed on and pulled each time to install and remove about a dozen times to get the correct shim thickness setup.

That is a huge advantage of the AAM versus a Dana axle, shimming danas can be a royal pain to set up versus the simple threaded adjuster ring on the AAM setup.

Thanks for the info on that. 

Does anyone know what the d70-2u... the 2u part mean?

• 2 weeks later...

Wild and free is correct. I also have a 70u2 rear in my truck. The only difference is the yoke and input seal from any other Dana 70 in the dodges. Took me about 4 hours on the phone to finally get an answer on it. I rebuilt mine a couple years ago and got the kit and info from randy's ring and pinion if I remember correctly.

• 3 weeks later...