• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Winch with programmers

I'm getting my truck set up for a winch on a removable mount, that way I can use it in multiple applications. I have a qwadzilla programmer and instructions say disconnect the module before jumping the vehicle, or immediate damage will accrue. My question is, how do you guys use your winches. Or is it only quwadzilla that have that problem. I really don't want to unplug it every time I got to use the winch or even give someone a jump.

Unless I'm thinking of this all wrong and it only apply when my truck is dead and someone is giving me a jump.

My 98 hated it! Idk about jumping or being jumped but anytime I used the winch, it would high idle until I turned the truck off and back on again. It did it with my quad xzt+ and edge comp, course it never did it again with the p-pump

Edited by 98whitelightnin

The no jumping with the quad plug in refers to the large power spike that happens when you jump a car or get jumped with dead batteries.  

Now correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see a winch drawing a ton of power instantly?  Right?  I know they use a lot of amps, but they are not injecting/removing a ton of power into the system? 

What amp's does your winch draw?

Remember steady power draw is fine.  

The early quadzilla boards 1.0 - 1.2 had the most issues.   

I don't see you having issues by running a winch, unless I am missing something.  

• Like 1

The no jumping with the quad plug in refers to the large power spike that happens when you jump a car or get jumped with dead batteries.  

Now correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see a winch drawing a ton of power instantly?  Right?  I know they use a lot of amps, but they are not injecting/removing a ton of power into the system? 

What amp's does your winch draw?

Remember steady power draw is fine.  

The early quadzilla boards 1.0 - 1.2 had the most issues.   

I don't see you having issues by running a winch, unless I am missing something.

It's a 12000 lb harbor freight Badland

Max amp draw is 300 at full load and 85 amps at 0 load. I'm guessing I'll be in a 200 amp range on average.

On my module it says ADR 1002

You will have to open the box up to see the board number.  

I really doubt you will have issues,  even at 300 amps just starting the truck takes more than that so it wont hurt the programmer.

Ok, sounds reassuring. I found some other trucks on line with quadzilla and winch. Hopefully I won't be posting later a used fried quad for sale. I think what I'll do is use high idle every time I'll use winch. That should keep the charging slightly higher. Thanks.

The issue with the quad was when people would jump their dead truck with the quad connected. The spike in power caused iusses.

Using a winch shouldn't cause any issues. Amps are minimal compared to normal starting of the truck.

Remember that the grids take something like 600 amps to run. I never unplug my quad to start the truck in the winter.

• Like 1

The issue with the quad was when people would jump their dead truck with the quad connected. The spike in power caused iusses.

Using a winch shouldn't cause any issues. Amps are minimal compared to normal starting of the truck.

Remember that the grids take something like 600 amps to run. I never unplug my quad to start the truck in the winter.

So I take it it should be fine for me to jump start other vehicles as long as it's not a semi truck and I'm the one connecting power leads. Reason I'm asking is, I ran power cables to front and back of my truck with quick connects and it's set up for jumper cables or winch. I was always skeptical on doing so but ones you mentioned grid heaters are high amps also, that makes more since now. Thanks.

I am not electrical engineer, but i THINK jumping another guy would be fine. Would I risk it? No. I would just unplug the box when you need to jump someone. It happens so rarely that why not?

I see your point. Do I need to disconnect batteries or just unplug it and then when done plug it it. Edited by Dieselfuture

• Owner

There is a surge that is created by a magnetic collapse of the motor winding. Kind of like what killed the LED in my exhaust brake switch. Every time the power was cut to the solenoid of the vacuum valve the voltage spike was so great that the light weight LED burned up. I've been zapped by battery cables or wiring from heavy draws on starters as the magnetic field collapses it creates this surge.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-3/inductor-commutating-circuits/

So because of the light weight hardware in some version of Quadzilla the circuits are damaged from this spike.

There is a surge that is created by a magnetic collapse of the motor winding. Kind of like what killed the LED in my exhaust brake switch. Every time the power was cut to the solenoid of the vacuum valve the voltage spike was so great that the light weight LED burned up. I've been zapped by battery cables or wiring from heavy draws on starters as the magnetic field collapses it creates this surge.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-3/inductor-commutating-circuits/

So because of the light weight hardware in some version of Quadzilla the circuits are damaged from this spike.

Agreed.  The main problem is the voltage spike is a negative voltage spike.  In electronic circuits, this is normally protected by a capacitor and a diode.  Connect the Diodes anode to the negative rail, and the cathode to the positive rail.  Then hook up the capacitor as close to the item that you're trying to protect as possible.

Also, Grid heater pull 100 amps each.

Well I got to jump a car and use a winch this week and so far no problems, I didn't unplug anything. Car I jumped was a97 nissan sentra and winch might of been at a third of its capacity, pulled 68 Chevy pick up on a trailer. Hopefully it will be fine in future tasks.