• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

K&N to BHAF Conversion Question?

So I'm picking up my truck, with its new VP44 on Tuesday and will be making a 12 hour drive with in on the following Sunday.   
As I was looking my truck over before sending it off, I noticed way too much residue in the mouth of my Turbo.  Considering that I run a K&N, I was pretty surprised. Then I started reading around here and my Turbo looks pretty much like the one in Mopar73's article about BHAF.  
What I'm wondering is if I can use the tubin setup and heat shield from my K&N and get a BHAF to fit into the space?
If anyone has done this or knows about the size dimentions, I'd really appreciate it.
Normally, I'd just go get a filter and give it a go but, just coming out of a layoff and the expense of the new VP44, I just don't have a play around budget.
Any and all help is highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Doc

Dirty%20Turbo_zpstbu4pc6a.jpg

Edited by recondoc

When I tossed my K-N and went to a BHAF the only part that got reused was the air inlet tube. It fit into the BHAF just right. All the rest didn't fit. I took a piece of sheet metal and fabed a heat shield. Also watch out for the fender bolts that hold the OEM filter box. If needed can take some pix of mine.

• Owner

Another wonderfully dusted engine caused from K&N filters... :duh:

I can't answer for the K&N tube and box. But a stock tube and a piece of 4" exhaust pipe inside the neck of the BHAF will give support. I would follow the advise above. As for the tube it might be better to get a old stock tube if need be.

• Like 1

When I tossed my K-N and went to a BHAF the only part that got reused was the air inlet tube. It fit into the BHAF just right. All the rest didn't fit. I took a piece of sheet metal and fabed a heat shield. Also watch out for the fender bolts that hold the OEM filter box. If needed can take some pix of mine.

Would definitely like to see a few pics if you have the time,

Thank you,

Doc

So I'm picking up my truck, with its new VP44 on Tuesday and will be making a 12 hour drive with in on the following Sunday.   

As I was looking my truck over before sending it off, I noticed way too much residue in the mouth of my Turbo.  Considering that I run a K&N, I was pretty surprised. Then I started reading around here and my Turbo looks pretty much like the one in Mopar73's article about BHAF.  

What I'm wondering is if I can use the tubin setup and heat shield from my K&N and get a BHAF to fit into the space?

If anyone has done this or knows about the size dimentions, I'd really appreciate it.

Normally, I'd just go get a filter and give it a go but, just coming out of a layoff and the expense of the new VP44, I just don't have a play around budget.

Any and all help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doc

Dirty%20Turbo_zpstbu4pc6a.jpg

Doc give me a ring if you need a hand sourcing parts. 

• Owner

Personally if it was me... I would pull the entire air system down and clean all the tubing, intercooler, and turbo up. Then while its apart you'll be able to tell what is going on. Is it just over oiled K&N filter or is the turbo seals shot? You'll know when you pull the tubing out to clean it. If the seals are leaking oil you'll have oil all the way through the system to the manifold. It would be a wise move to remove all the dust from the system.

Ok Doc here is some pix. Sorry it took so long to get them posted. In pix 2 and 3 you can just see home made shield. The clamp that is about 2 inches from filter is for the support piece that is under inlet tube.

post-516-0-62963100-1441554057_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-63513300-1441554067_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-86916500-1441554077_thumb.jpg

Edited by klcammie
  • Like 2

Ok Doc here is some pix. Sorry it took so long to get them posted. In pix 2 and 3 you can just see home made shield. The clamp that is about 2 inches from filter is for the support piece that is under inlet tube.

You beat me to it! That's basically the same as what I have and will work just fine or better.

Awesome Job Kevin,

It looks like you just opened up the top of the heat shield a bit?

Found my Filter on Amazon for under $50 shipped.  Now I've got to grab and Outwears Pre-Filter just to play it safe.

I'll get my truck back on Tuesday and can't wait to get cracking on making it roadtrip ready again.

Doc

Awesome Job Kevin,

It looks like you just opened up the top of the heat shield a bit?

Found my Filter on Amazon for under $50 shipped.  Now I've got to grab and Outwears Pre-Filter just to play it safe.

I'll get my truck back on Tuesday and can't wait to get cracking on making it roadtrip ready again.

Doc

Yes just used enough to keep BHAF from getting against the turbo. Even this way my EGT's are 50 degree lower then before.  

• Owner

This was proven by ISX awhile back that heat and no heat shield will not change EGT's nor IAT temps. It completely up to the intercooler for that job. Because even a 20*F difference under the hood is going to change a output temp of the turbo at full boost running 400-450*F into the intercooler. Also ISX proved that under hood temps are typically right close to outside temp about 2-5*F higher typically at highway speeds (Above 35 MPH).

But like I say optimal IAT is 100-140*F for MPG's reasons...

post-1-0-64198700-1441631036_thumb.png

• Like 1