• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New BHAF options!

Air Filter Poll  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What would you use?

• BHAF
    • New airbox for new filter
    • Full air box kit and filter

I am of a believer that the decrease most see in cold weather is mainly the effect of the cold on tires, fluids, air density and only a very small impact by fuel blends.

What I have always found odd about the MPG fooler is that warmer makes for better mileage. From a tuning standpoint warmer means lower timing.  

Very odd indeed. It should, depending on ambient temp, get warmer than 120°; however, it is VERY bad to cold idle a diesel and letting a diesel idle until warm in the winter is one of the worst things you can do to it.

In sub freezing weather mine just wont warm up idling. I have not tried it in some years but cant imagine it is any different now that then. Took a little getting used to swapping form gas to diesel. The 2nd winter I owned it I ended up in Indiana, 5 to 10 below at night and about 10 to 20 for a high. Going to work on surface streets it would start warming up and as soon as I stopped at a light you could watch the temp fall back down waiting on the light to change. I could take  the out of the way route on the interstate and it would warm right up. I started plugging it in after that and it made all the difference. It would however still drop in temp at the red lights. I have in the course of owning this truck been blessed with not working where temps get that low. But it is still needs to be driven to warm up even i sub freezing weather. 

True. The MPG fooler does indeed retard timing. The ignition rattle nearly disappears in my truck with the fooler and comes right back without.

What funny about about the whole cold air thing. I can get fully warmed up in a place like Boise, ID and drive into cooler weather and instantly see changes in the cold mountain then instantly see change back when I get to warm area like Riggins, ID. But never really see a change at all with the fooler on. Don't get me wrong I do see impact of the bitter cold starting in the dead winter but after engine temp reaches 195*F as long as the fooler is on the MPG are at least low 20's to high teens. Without it it will fall seriously to mid teens for MPGs. I gotta thank ISX for helping see the difference between 12V mechanical which has no loss in the winter to the 24V that does have losses in the winter.

I never cold idle a engine to warm it up anymore. Even my gas power stuff I fire up and go. Keep the load light till the the engine warms up and the kick the pig.If I was attempt to warm up the truck idling (normal) it would take at least 30 minutes at 32*F. Now if I'm in a hurry and need heat to clear ice from the windows. 3 cylinder high idle and about 900*F of pyro and she is fully warmed up in about 7-10 minutes at 175*F. Then it automatically kicks out. But that 3 cylinder mode cost fuel... lots of fuel! Flow rate is like 6-9 GPH...

My oil analysis never saw fuel dilution from idling to warm up or any increase in wear metals, at the same time I should have been more specific. I wait for my EGT to stabilize about 2 min after start up. Once that happens if the temps are not very cold I drive away with a whole lot of clatter. If the temps are below the freezing mark and are 20 degrees or less I will idle for a bit longer until the clatter reduces.

I'm sure the BHAF will help warm everything up a bit better since engine bay temps are warmer than what the airbox would ingest.

Edited by Vais01

I have idled mine quite a bit thru the years. Especially when I use it for an office on the job in the winter time. That is a tame winter time compared  to what a lot of ya'll see. A bad winter for me is a low of 20 and a high of 40. Once the engine is warmed up it will idle around 160 to 165. Once it start getting colder it will drop off lower.

I have idled mine quite a bit thru the years. Especially when I use it for an office on the job in the winter time. That is a tame winter time compared to what a lot of ya'll see. A bad winter for me is a low of 20 and a high of 40. Once the engine is warmed up it will idle around 160 to 165. Once it start getting colder it will drop off lower.

I've seen plenty of 20 degree weather in my truck. Mostly west Texas or central Texas and even still I can idle all the way up to operating temperature (165-180).

Are you running a BHAF or the factory air box?

I just saw you have a BHAF

Edited by Vais01

I've seen plenty of 20 degree weather in my truck. Mostly west Texas or central Texas and even still I can idle all the way up to operating temperature (165-180).

Are you running a BHAF or the factory air box?

I just saw you have a BHAF

I ran the factory airbox for many years after a 3 or 4 years I quit trying to warm it up idling. I just crank it get the juices flowing and then idle out of the rv park. i keep the rpm below 2k until it warms up going down the highway. Never tried with the BHAF come to think of it. I am now to used to doing this way to change. 

I ran the factory airbox for many years after a 3 or 4 years I quit trying to warm it up idling. I just crank it get the juices flowing and then idle out of the rv park. i keep the rpm below 2k until it warms up going down the highway. Never tried with the BHAF come to think of it. I am now to used to doing this way to change.

When did you do a coolant flush last? I ask because I would inspect the thermostat and make sure it is a 190 degree genuine Cummins thermostat as they have altered the design for better performance.

The BHAF may help with warm up time since it draws air from all around the engine bay. Other option is pull the snorkel on the airbox.

• Owner

LOL! Already got a BHAF now.

post-1-0-82601100-1442527424_thumb.jpg

The coolant has about 70k miles on it now. I'm going to swap out for 200*F thermostat this winter too. Increase the block temperature and manifold temperature through the winter. Also my water get shut off this next month due to freezing temperatures. So if I'm going to flush or wash anything I better do it soon. Typically run winter fronts too as long as I'm not towing. Next month I install the winter fronts.

The coolant has about 70k miles on it now. I'm going to swap out for 200*F thermostat this winter too. Increase the block temperature and manifold temperature through the winter. Typically run winter fronts too as long as I'm not towing. Next month I install the winter fronts.

I was actually asking dripley haha.

200 degree thermostat is s bit overkill is it not?

• Owner

Not really... It's been test by a few folks on the east coast and works rather good. The coolant temps hang at about 197-199*F through the winter and MPG's are up slightly more from the added heat. I'm going to jump into this ring and do more test and see how it reacts too. Just a stock 6.7L t-stat that all.

When did you do a coolant flush last? I ask because I would inspect the thermostat and make sure it is a 190 degree genuine Cummins thermostat as they have altered the design for better performance.

The BHAF may help with warm up time since it draws air from all around the engine bay. Other option is pull the snorkel on the airbox.

I understand what you are saying and I am overdue for a coolant flush. I have run every brand of tstat you can think of. I actually have one from mopar(190*) in it right now and cost $65 and has a funky extension on it that goes into the block . It behaves no differently that a $15 Stant. It has been like this since the day I bought it. 

• Staff

attachicon.gifDSCF2445.JPG

The coolant has about 70k miles on it now. I'm going to swap out for 200*F thermostat this winter too. Increase the block temperature and manifold temperature through the winter. Also my water get shut off this next month due to freezing temperatures. So if I'm going to flush or wash anything I better do it soon. Typically run winter fronts too as long as I'm not towing. Next month I install the winter fronts.

With the 200° thermostat and winter front I will be curious to see how much extra your fan runs. I would bet that any mileage increase will be negated by additional load from the fan.

Not really... It's been test by a few folks on the east coast and works rather good. The coolant temps hang at about 197-199*F through the winter and MPG's are up slightly more from the added heat. I'm going to jump into this ring and do more test and see how it reacts too. Just a stock 6.7L t-stat that all.

Interesting, I wonder if it would hurt running year round with that thermostat?

I understand what you are saying and I am overdue for a coolant flush. I have run every brand of tstat you can think of. I actually have one from mopar(190*) in it right now and cost $65 and has a funky extension on it that goes into the block . It behaves no differently that a $15 Stant. It has been like this since the day I bought it.

Cummins has them cheaper than Mopar and it's the most current version. I would say I paid 35 for it.

• Owner

With the 200° thermostat and winter front I will be curious to see how much extra your fan runs. I would bet that any mileage increase will be negated by additional load from the fan.

Fan doesn't lock till 215*F so I doubt there is any loss...

Interesting, I wonder if it would hurt running year round with that thermostat?

Ask Pepsi71Ocean he's been running his for 2 years straight as far as I know...

Thermostat would only open momentarily because the road speed would still keep the radiator very cold and the cold air may keep the thermostatic switch on the fan clutch from engaging.

In winter my 190 degree thermostat opens up only when I'm really romping down on it otherwise it may stay shut the entire trip.

I screened my OEM airbox (against mice when I put it back) but have not used the snorkle. I've thought about blocking the fender hole to use more under hood air in cold weather.

It probably would not have much benefits as the air is mixed hot and cold. Even with my BHAF I see a 25 degree difference in temps from my 2 sensors and a 20 degree difference from my air intake probe (not the IAT). Air box is slightly warmer than BHAF but my airbox is modified.

• Owner

I'd like to hear more on this. I'm curious. May help with combustion.

Exactly. Warmer air doesn't need as much timing advancement. Warmer block has less thermal losses more power is produced (fractional but there). 10*F more coolant temp is not going to hurt anything on light duty daily driver. I would be a bit worried about towing in the summer time being I know I've tipped 215-217*F may times holding 1,200*F EGT's climbing long grades. Being diesel engine rely on the compression heat to ignite the fuel if there is more heat then fuel readily ignites easy. Being in the winter time intake temps can drop seriously low and hamper the ignition quality of fuels hence why cetane level are increased for starting performance. After engine warms up the high cetane fuel is a waste. The coolant and block heat should take over from that point helping to ignite the fuel. Most people go the other direction and go colder thermostat 180*F. This creates poor efficiency not enough to ignite the fuel properly to much thermal loss into the coolant jacket.

This is strictly daily drivers...