• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New BHAF options!

Air Filter Poll  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What would you use?

• BHAF
    • New airbox for new filter
    • Full air box kit and filter

Quick update the BHAF has netted me about .25 MPG additional. I made my 275 mile trip on about 14 gallons of diesel. Which equates to roughly 19.6 MPG. Not too shabby. This was done between 75 and 80 MPH so RPM was around 1900 the entire trip. My lift pump pressure started dropping off from 15 to about 14 so now I've got to see why. The filters just got replaced and lift pressure is basically the same. I'll be carving into the lift pump to stretch or replace the return spring more than likely. That will happen when I replace the pressure side line later in the month.

Other than that my OAI temps stayed around 105 and the intake (air horn) probe read around 100 degrees. Seems the BHAF is working well. I will be dropping in the factory air box next week before heading to Louisiana for my brothers wedding to compare MPG and temps.

I will keep yall up to speed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay folks I've been slammed with work recently so forgive me for not going through and making a huge post of accumulated data and info. I will try to do that over the weekend. 

Update now. I've gone and reinstalled the factory air box and found the biggest difference is temperature of lower boost to no boost region. Won't say which is cooler so here is your cliff hanger. If I'm lucky I will try and get some dyno time next month to test both back to back and see my baselines.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I recently replaced my BHAF with one of the Volant #61504 filters and Volant #51921 pre filters on my 2002. No cold air box, just mounted on end of turbo hose. I did make a heat wrap out of some Thermo Tec FR insulating mat I had laying around. I haven't done any towing or heavy duty use to see if EGT's dropped any. It does seem like the engine revs a bit easier and a bit more turbo sound. My BHAF (WIX2790) had been on for several years, so may have plugged up a bit. I may possibly be back to normal.

5 hours ago, greed said:

I recently replaced my BHAF with one of the Volant #61504 filters and Volant #51921 pre filters on my 2002. No cold air box, just mounted on end of turbo hose. I did make a heat wrap out of some Thermo Tec FR insulating mat I had laying around. I haven't done any towing or heavy duty use to see if EGT's dropped any. It does seem like the engine revs a bit easier and a bit more turbo sound. My BHAF (WIX2790) had been on for several years, so may have plugged up a bit. I may possibly be back to normal.

Good to hear. Remember you can back flush the air filter to knock out the large debris on the Volant/Donaldson Power Core filters. Just be sure to use low pressure air no more than 10 PSI if memory serves me right.

Edited by Vais01

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2015 at 9:28 AM, greed said:

I just picked up the Volant 61504 myself!  Did you by any change put anything inside the ending of the flange (on the filter) to avoid not getting a perfect seal when tightening down the clamp? I was thinking a PVC coupling or pipe cut to size.  Seems as if the seal buckles in depending how tight/loose you make your clamp, maybe it's just me?  If anyone reads this who runs the normal Donaldson/Fleetguard/Napa BHAF do you do something similar as I stated above to ensure the seal will not buckle and cause a leak? 

Welcome to forum. 

I use the BAHF and just clamp them together as is. It has not buckled and holds together tightly. Some here do use different things like you are mentioning. If mine buckled somewhere I would definitely be adding something.

• Like 1

The problem is not just buckling, but sealing properly.  A small chunk of 4" exhaust pipe on the inside of the flange is the definition of "cheap insurance".

An old timer on the forums realized that everyone needing an unexpected premature engine rebuild was running a BHAF.  He attributed it to the filters filtering ability, but more digging and testing by other members shows that the problem is likely the flange sealing/buckling.

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 4

On 2/17/2016 at 8:39 AM, Cowboy said:

The problem is not just buckling, but sealing properly.  A small chunk of 4" exhaust pipe on the inside of the flange is the definition of "cheap insurance".

An old timer on the forums realized that everyone needing an unexpected premature engine rebuild was running a BHAF.  He attributed it to the filters filtering ability, but more digging and testing by other members shows that the problem is likely the flange sealing/buckling.

Yep, that doesn't surprise me at all.  Luckily I have to make several cuts on my new exhaust system so I'll have some 4" scraps laying around! :thumbup2:.  I must say that I'm very pleased with the quality of the filter itself. Volant scored big time on being able to work with Donaldson.  I picked mine up for $76; they are $99.58 directly from Volant.  

17 minutes ago, sooxies said:

Yep, that doesn't surprise me at all.  Luckily I have to make several cuts on my new exhaust system so I'll have some 4" scraps laying around! :thumbup2:.  I must say that I'm very pleased with the quality of the filter itself. Volant scored big time on being able to work with Donaldson.  I picked mine up for $76; they are $99.58 directly from Volant.  

Where did you buy it?

2 hours ago, dripley said:

Where did you buy it?

carid.com   ...there was no tax but I did weasel my way into free shipping.  Next best price I found was mudflaps.com (free shipping and no tax) for $80.02 http://mudflaps.com/i-7238998-volant-performance-61504-powercore-gas-air-filter.html  They ship directly from Volant in Ohio. 

No, though I have put some thought into it.  With my current system, a 4.5" or 5" filter would work best.

With this one being so small, I could make a cold air intake for it... IDK

On 2/20/2016 at 9:09 AM, dripley said:

I have been thinking about trying one just to try something different. I dont know anything about them other that what I have read in this thread. 

Just took the truck out for the first drive of the year.  Filter fits excellent in the space given.  You can angle it right at the port where cold air comes in if you desire! Kind of hard to see, but in the one photo it contacts right on the plastic lip of the filter and the rubber end on the factory stud.  Filter touches nothing else!  I'll be keeping an eye on the rubber end for wear.  I stuck a camera in there for a 30 minute drive and it didn't move an inch.  The sound is awesome if you have your silencer ring out.  It's not overpowering either...the turbo whine.  Just the right amount.  However, last time I drove my truck it had a stock exhaust and intake so everything is sounding awesome right now. This morning, I just finished putting in this little guy and my 4" exhaust with an FTE Resonator (Highly Recommend! No Drone!)  Nice to catch a wonderful day here in Wisconsin with 52 degrees.

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

Edited by sooxies
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, sooxies said:

Just took the truck out for the first drive of the year.  Filter fits excellent in the space given.  You can angle it right at the port where cold air comes in if you desire! Kind of hard to see, but in the one photo it contacts right on the plastic lip of the filter and the rubber end on the factory stud.  Filter touches nothing else!  I'll be keeping an eye on the rubber end for wear.  I stuck a camera in there for a 30 minute drive and it didn't move an inch.  The sound is awesome if you have your silencer ring out.  It's not overpowering either...the turbo whine.  Just the right amount.  However, last time I drove my truck it had a stock exhaust and intake so everything is sounding awesome right now. This morning, I just finished putting in this little guy and my 4" exhaust with an FTE Resonator (Highly Recommend! No Drone!)  Nice to catch a wonderful day here in Wisconsin with 52 degrees.

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

That answers my thoughts on how it would fit on the fender well. I made me a cradle for the BHAF to sit it and that one wont quite get to it. I would have to make something different for that. Thanks for the photo.

• Like 1