• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The time has come to produce the Mopar1973Man High Idle & MPG fooler switches again.

• Owner

There is no really change in running. What you will notice in cold start ups the then when you start in Normal (OFF) and then be going done the road anf flip to MPG mode you notice the timing rattle nearly disappears completely. Engine becomes very quiet. This is the effect of retarding the timing. Yes I said retarding and not advancing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notlimah said:

Will having any mode selected disengage the block heater?

The MPG mode will tell the engine that the air coming in the intake is warm enough not to run the intake heater, but not the block heater that you plug into your house.  

I don't think that you were asking about the 110V block heater, but just to be specific.

• Like 1

I think the only thing that will disengage the block heater is unplugging the cord or just not plugging it in. As far as i know there is no computer control of the block heater. Simply a plug and play.

When I responded to this the thread was about 5 posts old. When i clicked the respond button 5 posts appeared and I see I was a little late. not sure what happened with that. A glitch????

Edited by dripley
not sure

46 minutes ago, dripley said:

I think the only thing that will disengage the block heater is unplugging the cord or just not plugging it in. As far as i know there is no computer control of the block heater. Simply a plug and play.

When I responded to this the thread was about 5 posts old. When i clicked the respond button 5 posts appeared and I see I was a little late. not sure what happened with that. A glitch????

I had to update my cache and delete my temporary internet files again.  

Thanks Tim, for posting those pictures of your install. After seeing those I'm thinking that's right where I'll put mine if it won't fit in the overhead console. From your pictures it looks like it's going to be really close whether or not it'll fit up there.

Nick, did you end up popping out your blank to see if it would fit? And if so, are longer cables in the works for the next build run?

Thanks

Thanks as always Nick. It's kind of a moot point if it won't fit up there, but if it will, I'll wait a couple months in order to get it exactly the way I want it. Truth is it doesn't get cold enough in the Pacific Northwest to ever *need* the high idle. I mostly want the MPG function and the ability to high idle if I want.

Speaking of MPG: the MPG setting retards fuel timing. The Edge EZ advances fuel timing. Does anybody know what happens if the Edge is turned up and the MPG mode is selected? Self destruct sequence?

nothing bad.  

The mpg mode does nothing that that the ecm wont see on a hot day.  

If the truck doesn't blow on a hot day with the edge, then the truck won't blow with the mpg mode enabled.  

The edge doesn't just blankly advance.  It advances compared to the currently requested timing.  So if timing is -7 and the edge wants 2 advance the timing would be -5 ( or -9) I don't know how the timing workings when talking advance vs retard.  

but you get the point.

Alright sleezy,

While I am not going to say that there is no way to fit the switch in the overhead console like I had my last high idle switch ( between the lights)   I will say you would have to do ALOT of cutting to make it fit.  The issue isn't the roof of the truck, but the molding of the console.  also the length of the switch would prove difficult as you would need to make some room for the harness to plug in.  I would say is isn't a great place to install this switch.  

So it seems like my truck doesn't like starting cold with the switch in MPG mode, is that sound typical?

It still starts quick, it's just a lot more rough then normal. Typically even when cold, i'll get a little puff of black smoke out the exhaust, but when starting cold in MPG mode, its a combo of some white and black smoke, then steadies out.