• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking for a new truck

• Staff

It took me 3 mos. of looking to find a good 2nd gen. Finally got tired and settled on an 02 24 valve with auto trans. It was the lowest miles around and completely unmolested. Still virgin if you will.

Edited by JAG1

Honestly, if the red six speed truck that you posted looks as nice as it sounds, I would consider buying it.  However, know that the truck is likely going to need a fair amount of stuff over the next few years.  These days, I would rather have a truck that has been driven often but nicely than a low mileage truck.

My real tie breakers would be any obvious lack of maintenance, underbody and suspension rust, and interior.  If the truck drives and shifts good outside of that, whatever.  I would expect a clutch and VP in the next 100,000 mi along with some suspension components.

Edited by CSM

I've definitely been hunting for quite a while now and this is the first one I've found at a reasonable price. I talked to the seller on the phone for about 30 minutes asking question after question and he didn't miss a beat. If he's trying to pull a slick one, he's dammed good. I think it's a legit sale for sure. 

But like you said CSM, once I get hands on and look it over and go for a ride ill make my final decision. 

100k miles for me won't be happening any time soon as I don't drive nearly that many miles. I do completely agree though that a good amount of things will need freshening up, which isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

As always, I really appreciate everyone's input!!

10 hours ago, notlimah said:

Thanks for the info man, that's clears things up for sure! What's your definition of high hp on the 6spd?

I just might have to get ahold of this guy and see what he'd want as an outright purchase price. Might take you up on that offer!

I wouldn't push a 5 speed much over 650. Really asking for it to explode then. As for the 6 speed they're pretty reliable up into the 700's and probably even 800's if driven properly. Just don't build huge amounts of torque in 6th gear.

My brother's 05 nv5600 truck is making 724hp at the wheels, and since he has it overfilled 1qt with amsoil and never beats on it in 6th unless he's over 80+mph it's been a very good trans. Not all are as lucky as him though.

14 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I wouldn't push a 5 speed much over 650. Really asking for it to explode then. As for the 6 speed they're pretty reliable up into the 700's and probably even 800's if driven properly. Just don't build huge amounts of torque in 6th gear.

My brother's 05 nv5600 truck is making 724hp at the wheels, and since he has it overfilled 1qt with amsoil and never beats on it in 6th unless he's over 80+mph it's been a very good trans. Not all are as lucky as him though.

What he says about torque is the key.  You may get some bearing/gear surface wear at high horsepower levels, but nobody other than Bonneville racers maintain that high of HP levels.  

HP doesn't kill most parts.  Torque does.  Beasty twins coupled with big tires and clutch dumps is what kills transmissions.  

For most normal mortals, this isn't a concern.

Edited by CSM

So basically don't lug around in 6th and mash the pedal and overfill the trans fluid by a quart and that should help increase the life span? I really don't drive like a mad man, the occasional time or two to merge traffic but otherwise, I'm practically a grandpa haha