• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What to do?!

11 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Well if you stay below 400 hp then a good billet single disc should be fine.  I like my revmax, pair that with a good VB and you would be good, ASSUMING your trans is in good shape now.

I agree, and a single disc will save some coin. If you drive nice and smooth and don't stand on it while towing heavy (no lock up switch locked shifts) you will be fine with what Nick says.  You have to think about what parts are taking the load while you drive.  If it is in converter (no lockup) you aren't stressing the clutch.  If you are locked up or trying to lock up, you might ease off while towing until it locks up.  

If you tow heavy with the comp dialed up or slam shifts at high torque with meaty tires, you may also need a new high performance flex plate and billet input shaft.  Some guys get by without them, Wild And Free had a stock input if I recall correctly and did tractor pulls competitively.  Stuff to consider.  

Another thing.  With a chip, you will need to drive off your gauges more.  I enjoy this part, but I keep a good eye on my EGT and keep boost below 25psi while towing with the occasional glance at my trans temp.  Trans temp while locked up on the highway is usually low, like 140F, if it started rising, it would tell me to drop a gear and get locked up or to take it easy if I am stuck in traffic.  

Edited by CSM

Who makes single discs? Every one I've seen is triple! Or am I reading things wrong?

I would assume the trans is in as good a condition it can be for having 175k on it. It was dad's truck before me and he bought it new. Never towed or hauled with it, all highway miles. My brother towed a small car a couple times but that should be nothing for this trans.

CSM you posted after I thought I was done with my reply!

All very good points and things I will take into consideration! I have never driven the truck that hard and don't really plan too. It's still a truck! Although I can't deny I wouldn't be tempted to dump some coal here and there if I was able too!! :burnout:

I feel I already drive off my gauges so that should be an easy transition!

I will have to stay out of anything about the auto tranny. Every one else has that covered. I used to have a Banks Ottomind tuner that failed several years ago. So I ended with nothing but RV275 injectors. These alone made a very nice addition for daily driving. They even helped towing but i did miss the old tuner. Not sure what you would have to do to the tranny for the RV's, just another way to go. I do now have a comp but cant use because my clutch is toast. A new SB clutch should be on my door step today or tomorrow and in the truck next week. Then I will get to see what the comp is all about.

• Owner

So I could even run it at 1x1 and get the 40hp with very minimal extra fuel? How much stress would running 1x3 add on the VP44?

So you would only have 33% throttle till 20 PSI boost. It feels like limp mode for power then at 20 PSI it starts pulling hard.

A lot of people like Smarty's personally I don't suggest them with to be used in stack nor with stock automatics. All Smarty can do is modify the stock fuel map of the ECM once the vehicle exceeds the stock fuel map that where it turns flat. Most people love the fact Smarty reduces Torque Management the very thing you need to keep from breaking your transmission. Now like TFaoro he's done it right with stacking with a TST fuel only box and Smarty doing the timing but he's spent lots of money on his project truck. 

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/topic/9995-teardown-and-rebuild/

• Like 2

Mike, thanks for clearing things up, tuners are still new to me so learning as quick as I can. I wish I had the time/money/skills that tfaoro has. I'm super jealous of his build, but I think that's more then I'd even want or need in my own personal build! 

Thanks ME, for some reason the revmax site says the 3.5 is only for 94-98 on the main banner part but once you click on the item it shows its for pretty much all 2nd gens. I originally thought that would be the better option but was thrown off!