• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

98-99 HD steering upgrade

MOOG used to make good parts but now they are junk. I went through two MOOG track bars in less than 10k miles...second one almost stranded me 400 miles from home. Lifetime warranty but I didn't like playing that game. I now have NAPA "heavy duty" line track bar and ball joints which are tight after about 25K miles so time will tell.

Looks great Ken! if you would like to see your work here become semi-permanent, you could put a basic article together on it when you get it all done.  We would be happy to publish it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CSM said:

Looks great Ken! if you would like to see your work here become semi-permanent, you could put a basic article together on it when you get it all done.  We would be happy to publish it.  

That would be great. Believe it or not I can actually spell when I'm not being auto corrected by my phone or tablet lol. My laptop is down and I can't wait to have it up and running again.

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck on the steering upgrade, look forward to seeing if the upgrade it improves the steering. I improved mine yesterday. I put a new track bar on. Nothing fancy just the same old Moog that lasted about 80k that I had on it before. not only could I move the ball stud with finger tip, the busing on the other end mashed up and coming out. We will see how long this on lasts. All I know is it steers beautiful again. It has been gone for the last 5k, popping and klunking around. I noticed the other week that when I was sitting still and turned the wheel a little that the body was moving side to side about 2 or 3 inches. :doh:

• Like 1

I'm surprised my truck would even stay on the road with everything that was wore out lol. Track bar was shot and my body would move around over the axle like yours, shocks were completely trashed, have a ball joint out, swaybar end links are shot, and every ball joint on the tie rod and drag link have play.:doh: All that will be left after I get this shipment of parts in will be the swaybar end links. 

Just got the adjuster sleeve that I ordered from Amazon, it was the one part RockAuto didn't have. The seller is Pro Autoparts World located in Salisbury MD. I placed the order Monday evening, it shipped Tuesday morning, and received it today :thumb1:

20151231_155028.jpg.48ae42b87f8b2c19baf0

20151231_154857.jpg.912528e5266bf47f26e3

As you can see the box says "Made in Canada". I'll see what all the boxes are labeled from RockAuto on Saturday. 

FedEx brought the rest of my parts earlier. Seems Raybestos/AC Delco Pro parts are manufactured in a variety of locations. USA, Canada, and Taiwan. Honestly I can tell the difference between l them. The ball joints are made in Taiwan but are VERY tight. I just picked up a ball joint press and adapters from O'riely auto parts along with an axle seal from NAPA. I'll be getting this party started soon!

Finally got my new ball joints installed on the knuckle, what a SOB that turned out to be. First the 1 11/16" nut was stuck something fierce but finally broke free after using a 3/4" breaker bar and a jack. Then the only place that had a press and adapters in stock was O'reilly. Well, the adapters weren't long enough to fully press out the lower ball joint so I had to cut the shaft off with a cutoff wheel so the adapter wouldn't bottom out. Then, the bottom cup of the press was too small to allow the new lower ball joint to fully seat. After cutting down a piece of sch 80 pvc pipe and using one of my AR500 armor plates I finally got it pressed in. The top joint was easy as pie, pressed out the old one and pressed in the new one. Tomorrow I'm replacing the passenger side axle seal, bolting the knuckle back on, then installing the new steering. 

Got the new steering on, man what a difference that made! I'm not running a steering dampener at the moment and honestly I don't think it needs one. It drives like a completely different truck now, all wandering is gone and there is zero bump steer. It was a complete bolt on affair, no modifications needed. I'll be working on a writeup shortly (already have part of it done) and will submit it for review as soon as it's finished. For around $315 shipped it's the best thing you can do to improve your steering. 

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 1

• Staff

It's really good to hear about this

Exactly why having a truck that paid for is so good because you can afford all the mods that make it better than new.

Just cause a truck is new doesn't make it better. I have heard a lot of problems w new stuff.  Now your not a slave having the money in the bank.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

It does sound pretty good. Something to think about When my front end wears out. For now just getting the new track bar was like new steering to me. The only time I had bump steer was when the truck was new and that seemed to lessen with age. A little over a year ago i had my first instance of death wobble. Now that was an eye opener. It stayed with until I replaced the track bar. So far so good. I could move the ball stud in the old one with my finger tip. The only resistance was from the rubber seal. The bushing in the other end was coming apart also.

• Like 1