• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

moisture from lower vent

For a couple months now I noticed moisture dripping from the floor vent on the passenger side of the tranny hump. right next to the " SRS" cover (I hope that makes sense)

The moisture is mixed with what I THINK is green paint from when I painted my truck about 4 years ago and got overspray into the exterior vent at the bottom of my windshield.

I know that sounds strange because it seems whatever paint was in there would have dried long ago. So I am open to suggestions for other explanations for the green stuff.

While I first thought the moisture was water, now Im not so sure because it feels somewhat oily. any thoughts?

Ill try to post a pic to help explain.

this is a '96 2500 totally stock 

IMG_0286 (1).jpg

IMG_0286 (1).jpg

There should be a drain tube from the heater core / evap area somewhere in there.  I would check if it is plugged. As you say with paint, it could just be condensation, mold, and paint mixed to make a nice green stain that should be draining onto the roadway.

you know....i recently ran my defroster and I vaguely remember a slight antifreeze  smell.

But the plugged drain issue.... are you guys talking about the A/C evaporator drain just outside the firewall? or is there another drain.

Im hoping I don't have to pull my dash.

• Staff

That's the drain. The  A/C evaporator is before the heater core. When you turn on the defrost mode the A/C compressor is commanded to turn on.  The air goes over the evaporator and the moisture is removed.  The dry air then goes over the heater core and brought up to temp, then thru the duct work to the windshield. If you have moist air blowing on the inside windshield then the heater core is leaking.  The fire wall drain is for the A/C evap.

Edited by IBMobile

• Owner
3 hours ago, John T said:

is there any way at all to change it without evacuating the A/C?

I highly suggest you just pull the entire thing down and open the HVAC case. I've found in several cases the evaporator is plugged up with debris. Could be from mice, pine needles, etc. But it will do you no good to change heater core and have the evaporator plugged up or blend door on a broken shaft etc. With the HVAC case out you can inspect all this stuff.

well Im waistdeep into it!

now I see where all the green was coming from. Not paint at all, but Im not sure what it is... copper?

take a look:

oh yea, you know those white plastic anchors along the windshield where the 5 screws go into to hold the dash in place? all of mine broke.

Im hoping its not hard to find a suitable replacement.IMG_0288.jpg.abae7be08b1982b73551300157a