• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel leak by my injector pump

Truck started to start real hard yesterday and by the time I've done all my Christmas running it now has a good size leak up near the injector pump.  If i let it run for about 5 minutes it has a pretty good size spot on the ground.  I can't really see any wet fuel lines but it's definitely dropping down on the front diff. Could my injector pump itself be leaking? It does have an airdog pump on it but like I said I don't see any fuel on the lines. 

Got any suggestions? 

98.5 24v if that helps any. 

Edited by Millfire517

Yes I do. I'll look to see if it's still connected in the morning. I thought it was unhooked but I could be wrong. 

Ok. The fuel filter housing is unhooked and I found a metal line that it was dripping from. I included it in a picture. It's the banjo fitting on the left next to my fuel line. 

Does that thing use copper washers? If so where do I get them from?  And what size it that fitting?

20151226_113126.jpg

It's a 14mm rubber coated washer. I've used copper washers as a temporary fix to get me home but they didn't seal up completely. Google something like "cummins banjo washers" you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about. 

Also the fuel return banjo bolt on the back of the head takes a 12mm washer so you should get a few of those while your at it, I'm sure you'll need them eventually. 

1 hour ago, Millfire517 said:

I've seen 12mm and 14mm, I'm all confused now, lol

I think it's called the over flow valve/banjo fitting. 

Correct the one you're pointing to is the overflow banjo fitting. This is where excess fuel returns back to the tank. It takes two 14mm rubberized washers. 

Edited by Buzzinhalfdozen

• Owner

I just got done doing an inspection of my truck and come to find out I had a small fuel leak. So I power washed the engine bay clean since there was fuel everywhere. Now let it dry over night. Now fired up this morning and watch things closely with a flashlight. What I found was in the 3,5,6 group of lines on the block side one of them was leaking. So using 3 different wrenches with all different pitch angles of the open end I tighten the one line problem solved.

@Millfire517 Sure would be a shame to sell a good truck over a minor fuel leak. I could most likely fix that with a soldering iron or a propane torch and solder. It's a shame to give up so quick. If I had the money I would buy your truck.

• Like 1

• Staff

Yes listen to Michael. I've been driving my truck for 20 yrs come this October with minor problems just like yours off and on throughout it's use. Stay away from dealers is the main thing and you begin to get some smarts on simple repairs and fixes. My old 1st gen has saved me at least $100,000 Bucks not buying other trucks to replace it.

If you stick with it.... it will give you back with an unbelievable experience of long term trouble free use.