• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

my 5th wheel has been getting hard to stop lately so I went to adjust them and the adjusters were frozen. Last weekend I opened 2 of them up and freed up the the adjusters. Those things were frozen. While I was in there I noticed that either I have pumped to much grease in there or the seal failed and I had grease on the magnets and a little on one of the shoes. I expect to find some thing similar on the other side. I figure they are 10 years old and I am just going to redo them all.

I have been looking at parts and it appears new shoes are going to cost about $100 for a 4 wheels. But I have also found the whole assemblies for $50 a wheel. Then I found these on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013779BT8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009996ZCU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SS57W1AYNYW62MM39V4. At $160 it seems like a no brainer to me, but the only thing I have ever done to brakes on either of my 2 5th wheels is adjust them. I dont know how to tell if the magnets are wearing out or not. Mine are 10 years old but probably only have 30k on them. 

I am curious as to what some of you do for yours when it comes to rebuilding them.

I'd say for $160 bucks go for it especially for how easy the install is. The only thing that concerns me is that inexpensive and quality don't usually go together so I'd save the original backing plates and magnets just in case. I typically replace the magnets if I'm in there doing brakes. Usually the wires get brittle and break before the magnet wears out. 

For whatever reason, even Dexter factory parts are the same way. Complete assemblies are far cheaper than components. Buy the completes and don't look back! Bolt em on, connect the wires and go. I got auto adjust from Dexter.  Might look at the cost of those. If you can find a local dealer of trailer parts...I got mine pretty cheap. http://www.potterwebster.com/

i have not bought them yet. Just researching for now. Pretty sure mine have 5 bolts and want to verify and see what yall think before I pull the trigger.

4 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

How old are the seals? I am assuming you are checking/repacking the bearings more often than every 10 years. 

The seals and everything else are 10 years old. The last time I had them apart was about 3 years ago. I noticed nothing out of the ordinary then. They have never given many any trouble. The bearings have always been tight and never felt any excess heat by feeling the wheels on the trips I have made. I usually stop about 50 to 75 miles then again at about 150 miles when start a trip to check the wheels and tire for excessive heat. I have grease fittings in the axle ends to add grease to them. The one that had some grease on the shoe was packed full of grease. The one that was ok was less full. Thinking maybe I got a little over zealous with the grease gun.

I know ten years is along time but I put very few miles on these things. Maybe 3000 a year. As long as everything was working right I did not worry. When I had the two apart a week ago nothing appeared out of the ordinary other than the grease that had gotten into the brake drum.

2 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Maybe your axle is different but I haven't ever worked on a trailer axle where I could clean/inspect/repack the inner wheel bearing without replacing the seal. 

The EZ-Lube, or whatever they are called, is not a substitute for regular repacks. 

Ok, I stand scolded. You do have to remove the seal to get the bearing in your hand. with the drum off you can see the spindle. Noticed nothing wrong there and the outer bearing was fine. Nice shiny and new looking. plenty of grease on the inner bearing by eye only. The wheels spun freely and was tight on the spindle. With only 30k on them they did not worry me. I will agree 10 years is a long time however.

14 minutes ago, joecool911 said:

I have been looking at those here http://www.fayettetrailersales.com/product-p/23-180.htm. I just bought two new wheels from themhttp://www.fayettetrailersales.com/16-Aluminum-Modular-Rim-Wheel-8-lug-on-6-5-p/s2066866t.htm. $108 and free shipping. Same ones that are on my trailer now.

• Staff

I have the same 'E-Z lube' axles with the zerk fitting at the end don't trust them for lubing. I repacked my bearings and checked the brakes after 4 years. Now I just adjust the shoes every year and pull a drum for inspection every other year.  Bearing grease still looks good and no wear on the shoes or magnets.     

• Like 2