• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar vs Aftermarket Parts

One thing to keep in mind,  Dodge, Chevy, Ford assemble vehicles.  They "for the most parts" don't build parts.   They will only build their own parts if it is super cost effective, or to protect some type of technology.  Sub contractors build the parts for them to assemble.   Sometimes, those parts were made by sister companies (Saginaw, delphi, Fisher, etc were GM companies, but sisters to Chevy, Olds  etc)   As our trucks move further in time, Dodge may keep parts for us, but will not be sourced from the main channels (and main manufacturers).  Dodge is not going to place a blanket contract for 10,000 ball joints from TRW or Delphi.  They are just not going to see that many in the dealership.   So, as the quantities fall, the sub contractor that gets the bid to fill the order, is smaller.  While this is not always bad, it can affect the quality of the part. 

The OEM is only required to maintain parts for a car for 10 years if i am not mistaken.   

We just noticed this on some control arm bushings for a suburbasaurus.  While the prices were significantly different for the replacement parts, comparing each of them out of the box, they all looked like they were from the same supplier.  (A truck that old, I think moog, Delphi, etc, are buying the same parts, just putting them with their packaging.  The molding marks were identical.  The only one that looked different was ONE balljoint that had been on the store shelf for a long time (you could tell by the outside box, printing was different colors etc), it looked significantly different from the newer one from the same brand....)

Hag 

• Like 4

Most of the discussions here end up becoming a "think tank" of sorts. It just seems to be what happens when people are able to get together and share their thoughts and opinions without name calling, purse swinging, hurt feelings, or severe cases of sandy mangina that are found on some of the other forums. :)  

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • Staff
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 4:31 PM, Royal Squire said:

Purse swinging?

:lol3:

Just want to add that I bought my 02 with manufacture date of October of 2002 some of the last of the second gens and the Ball Joints and tie rods only lasted for 64,000 miles. My first gen, I know has different design but didn't need anything up front till after 300 K. I think you are right Dave about quality changing.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

Like my truck is also 2002 as well like @JAG1 and I cleared over 150k miles with OEM ball joint on all this rough country and dirt road travels including trailer towing. I'm on my way to 300k miles now and I'm pretty sure my cheapo ball joints (not Moog) will make it to 300k they are still tight yet.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

So between my old man and I we have installed aftermarket and factory parts for nearly 60 years combined. that being said some aftermarket is questionable (big chains) napa has even cut costs I've noticed.  But the reliability is still there.....

Universal replacement is trouble I lost my antenna when I swapped bodies then installed a universal mast that broke off at 75 MPH and almost broke my passenger window.  The base had to be replaced as well and factorychryslerparts.com came through with base and mast for the same price as just the base from the dealer....  this site is powered by a dealer sourcing new old stock parts from discontinued and current dealers holding stock on shelves collecting dust...

On the flip side my OEM Chrysler stamped 600 dollar rear window leaks and not many people like to work on these trucks rear window so I have to pay lots of money to fix a new window, I don't get it.... :doh:

Surprised no one mentioned Mopar going under and needing to liquidate stock and dealers... ie oem parts and so on, then overhead went up on remaining parts, therefore price went up along with contractor changes due to the need to cut costs.

Another item to consider I believe you are correct on the ten year mark but year 1 to 5 the part carries a premium then year 5 to 10 they try to clear them out then after year 10 price often starts creaping up again....

That being said I go aftermarket unless it's not available then I hit up this site for info then this one factorychryslerparts.com then compare with dealer