• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4wd System Refresh np241DHD rebuild.

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. Because I don't break things typically. Lets say I've removed transmissions and transfers cases typically for doing clutches.

Never broken anything in the Tcase or trans on mine yet.... BUT when something doesn't work exactly how I want it to I'll tear it apart. Doesn't bother me a bit!

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

so back to the truck, just ordered a replacement mopar center support bearing.  that should get rid of my highway vibration and also was likely the reason why the tailshaft of the transfercase was leaking slight.

Might want to check the FSM and see if you need a bearing puller. I can't remember.

A press is the best tool for changing the hanger bearing and Then spin balance it afterwards. Having worked at a shop with a driveline spin balancer it is amazing how little weight it takes to cause a vibration and by simply changing a u-joint or hanger bearing can totally throw off the balance of a driveline not to mention out of balance driveline is the main cause for u-joint and bearing failures to start with. Fix the cause along with the symptom and worn parts when dealing with drivelines.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 2

• Owner
59 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

A press is the best tool for changing the hanger bearing and Then spin balance it afterwards. Having worked at a shop with a driveline spin balancer it is amazing how little weight it takes to cause a vibration and by simply changing a u-joint or hanger bearing can totally throw off the balance of a driveline not to mention out of balance driveline is the main cause for u-joint and bearing failures to start with. Fix the cause along with the symptom and worn parts when dealing with drivelines.

Funny you happen to say that... I'm in the process of locating a local driveline shop to rebuild my rear drive shaft, new carrier bearing, and spin balance my drive shaft. I look at this way it been under the truck smacked by all kinds of debris for 258k miles and 14 years. Why not invest the money and have the shaft rebuilt right. Mine start acting goofy on the last trip towing the RV. Vibration and odd bucking. Come to find the carrier bearing rubber is shot. 

• Like 1

I have seen good driveline guys do a realignment / balance of a shaft and not even touch a weight just by hitting the tube with a bit of heat with a torch in specific spots to help pull one end a bit straighter at the weld area of the yoke to shaft area depending on what he sees in the balance and dial indicator checks.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

Mine is do too. I have a couple of drive line shops here at home. Just have to find the time to get it off and let them have it and the front one. They all  have 14 years and  365k on them. Hope I can find as good of parts that came with it.

Well it appears that my issue was due to a spring that was caught in the roaster comb in the transfercase.

20160223_195751.jpg.9ef27e69cb799b789b1920160223_202909_resized.jpg.cb42a03fb4d5

I found the noise I was having.  It appears that the 2wd --> 4wd collar is not backing off the main shaft fully.  There is a VERY slight overlap of the collar.  

I have no idea what is causing it..... If I was to shim the main shaft slight the issue would be resolved, but there was no shim to start, so why should I need one now.

It's the spring that holds the shift position.

Tyler the collar can't move back far enough to fully disengage 4wd.  If I move the main shaft forward by 1/16 it does.  I need to figure out of there is a shim or something.  Nothing is worn that I can see.

Never seen a shim in the two I've had open. When you say forward... you mean push the shaft indo the carrier correct? Could it be because the axle was from a 3500? Not sure what the differences are.

If you don't want to mess with shims you could always take a bit of material off the face of the collar.

Pull it out of the carrier.  As far as I can tell there is no way anything outside the t case could do what I need.  Thought about the collar but that is kinda like using a noise filter to solve lockup issues.

I will take a picture.

2wd is the collar slid to the front of the truck 4wd is collar slid back.  

I forgot I tore it down last night so no picture until I get it back together.   

Here is another picture though  The spacing between the brass teeth and 4wd chain section doesn't seem to be enough.  The collar seems to come to rest on the 4wd section, or close enough that it grinds.

PB111557.jpg

https://mopar1973man.com/external-media/pdf/2000Ramparts.pdf#view=FitB&page=555

I need to take the main shaft apart and see if something between the cogs/ gears is beat up.  

Edit:

This may be my issue.  I didn't place the outer gear so the teeth where pushing down on the brass looking pad circled.

Capture.PNG

not my pictures, I will have to see if that makes a difference.  I kinda doubt it will as the issue started happening a few months ago, so I can only assume something wore out causing the main shaft to slide back a little more and thus my grinding happens.

...phsh you think I checked something before I tore into it :whistle:  

No shims or anything.  I am looking through the parts blow out now and I don't see much in terms of shims.  There are some in the planetary set, but the old ones don't look worn at all.....

Alright here are some pictures.  both are the collar in 2wd position, you can see in picture 1 that there is an overhang and the slight damage to the teeth. 

20160224_181912_resized.jpg.76814d3d19d9

2nd is what I would think it should be like

20160224_181811_resized.jpg.b50abbfa36c8

Edited by Me78569