• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trans miss shift?

If I did, I apologize. I definitely WILL be a vendor, but just haven't done so yet...

We're still adding products to the site, and have yet to get the shopping cart function in working order, but we're getting there. With this being the beginning of our crazy busy season, other things tend to come first, but I try to make at least some progress every day...

DPC builds a good converter, as does Goerend. I also use a TON of converters from Cascade Converter, who builds an excellent converter as well.

• Like 2

@Mopar1973Man Most likely a heavily worn direct clutch.

Ironic that you ask that... Last weekend, the battery failed in my wife's '04 Durango. I was playing music at a gig, so my Dad ended up rescuing her. In the whole process, we ended up with my parent's '99 Durango (46RE) overnight. When I drove their Durango back to their house, I noticed that it was doing the exact same thing that you're describing. Under light throttle (low line pressure), it will upshift 1-2, then flare badly when the band is released for the 2-3 shift, waiting for the direct to come on. Under a little heavier throttle (more line pressure), the direct comes on quicker, and it's not quite as noticeable, but still there. I'll be building them a transmission pretty soon.

Behind a 5.9, I assume? It has given you all it had... :)

The 46RE's behind the 5.9 (360) really need a 4th disc in the direct. The 5.2 (318) weren't quite as bad, but it's an easy mod, so why not...? You can set the 46RE up with a 4 disc direct (like a stock 47RE), and a 5 disc OD brake (again, same as a stock 47RE), and some valve body mods and you'll have a real nice transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

So figured I'd post this here since I think it still applies to the original thread topic.

I've noticed for the last few days, on initial startup and drive to work with the truck still fairly cold from sitting over night, my trans seems to get hung up in 3rd. It'll just hold on to 3rd up to around 2k give or take a few hundred rpms either way. After changing around my throttle input it'll finally catch 4th and I'll be on my way. It really doesn't seem to be an issue any other time after that, but is this really being caused by just a cold tranny? Or is there some underlying issues?

Normal for me, at least. In the winter time, 3rd would not lock up for me until everything was warmed up a little bit. My hemi did the same thing, it would not go into overdrive until everything was warmed up. Don't know exactly why, but it's supposed to protect the transmission. 

Makes sense. I've pretty much figured out that I drive my route to work exactly the same day in day out so today, on the way in I just gave it a little more skinny pedal and it finally locked up, just took a little more then normal since it was still a little cold from sitting over night.

Glad to hear it's normal.