• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cool down before shut down

The biggest reason is to let the turbo cool. If you shut it down with the turbo steaming hot, it'll literally cook the oil inside the turbo. That will eventually ruin the bearings and dump the cooked oil back into the pan. So it's very important. I cringe every time I see a new diesel shut down after being run hard.

Some programmers will tap into fuse #9 (inside the cab) and keep the engine running for a designated time or until the programmer shuts the engine down. I have my quadzilla set to kill the engine at 300*. I pull the key and walk away. When the egts are low enough it shuts down the engine.

Edited by TFaoro
  • Like 2

I let mine get down to under 400* B4 shut down, if coming in from the road and not towing or pulling it only takes about 30 seconds to get there, if it was real hot and towing it takes a minute or two to hit 400* or less.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

There are kits that are just turbo timers, it doesn't have to be a quad or smarty. My truck never really gets run THAT hard, but I typically just pull up to where ever I'm going and sit in the cab for a bit until I see my EGTs come down. You can be a cool kid like Tyler if you want though!  :tongue:

• Like 1

Along the same lines... On a 30-40 degree morning.. Is it okay to let it idle for 10 minutes to warm up? I ask because I thought I read somewhere that it's not good to let it idle for a long  time... maybe that was after it's been running down the road for awhile and then let it idle while you run into a store? 

It's really an opinionated question. Some say never let the truck idle cold because it will cause damage, and to only let it idle when it's warm out or the engines already up to temp. Others say it's no big deal.

Personally, if it's really cold out, will let the truck warm up with high idle assistance for 5-10 minutes, then be on my way. Any other time I've just started, sat for 30seconds or so and I'm off! 9 times outta 10 I'll leave the truck running while I pop into a store or what not.

It really boils down to what your comfortable doing. There's plenty of evidence to get behind either argument so pick a side and :burnout:

1 hour ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Along the same lines... On a 30-40 degree morning.. Is it okay to let it idle for 10 minutes to warm up? I ask because I thought I read somewhere that it's not good to let it idle for a long  time... maybe that was after it's been running down the road for awhile and then let it idle while you run into a store? 

Thing is on a cold start without a high idle it won't warm up idling. Cold cyl tempsand no load the fuel doesn't entirely get burnt and will run down into the oilpan. That is the main concern of cold idling.

at 30-40F degrees fire it up let it run for 30-60 seconds make sure oil has gotten everywhere then go easy on it driving untill the temp needle gets up to the 1st mark.

• Like 1

I found out early on in the winter letting it idle to warm up was almost useless. I crank mine let it idle  for 20 30 seconds and take off and take it easy until the the engine warms up to about 140 then drive it normally. After i added the E brake I can idle it and warm it up easier but dont always. 

• Like 1

I bought this truck specifically to tow my camper. I have been doing everything I can to make it a most enjoyable tow rig. I knew I wanted an exhaust brake when returning from a camping trip last fall... I made a wrong turn and had to go down a steep downhill road.. in first and foot on the brakes creeping at 5 mph... and was still nervous as all get out! 

If you do get one be sure and check function on them. Mine is a Banks and will not engage at that slow of speed. Mine will not engage until I am going 35 mph but will stay engaged down to 15 mph as long as you dont touch the throttle. Other brands work differently so pay attention. And I also see you have an auto. That will require lock up switch for the tranny or the brake will burn it up.