• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty w/ auto trans

Well like the title states, I'm curious on your guys opinion on running a smarty with an auto trans? Obviously until I get my trans built, it'd be run on the lowest of settings or off.

To me the smarty isn't just for the tune ability but also to be able to help others clear codes, set high idle and things like that. 

Only concern was I've heard it can be pretty smokey on autos and I'm not trying to drive around a smoke machine as my DD! 

I like it, but it takes a lot of fiddling with the torque management and revo to get it dialed in.  

Torque management should start out on the softest setting, try a couple levels, adjust tuning and duration to get a good tune, and then change torque management if necessary.  My trans gets really unhappy at high tq management numbers. 

• Owner

Personally, I would say that Smarty is a good way to kill a transmission. Most tunes are fairly aggressive down low which is one of Smarty key features is the down low fueling. I would of done a full module like Edge or Quadzilla. Why? because they are typically the reverse of the Smarty. Both Edge and Quad you can set a bit of defuel or lag to keep the transmission happy. So for the Smarty I would keep it on a very low level, TQ Man stock, fuel duration low, etc. 

I run a Smarty and 100 hp injectors, and really like the combo. BUT, I also have my valve body set up for the low end fueling of the Smarty.

To elaborate on Mike's point, one of the problems with the Smarty coupled with a stock valve body is the fact that the Smarty will fuel the engine very aggressively at what amounts to very small amounts of throttle pedal travel. This is great for driveability and "feel", but that same small amount of throttle pedal travel also equates to a very small amount of TV cable pull at the transmission. So you are only getting small amounts of TV pressure increase and it's resulting boost in line pressure. What this means is that you're making a lot more power than you will have line pressure to support in many cases.

The fix is to have your valve body set up not only with increased base line pressure, but also so that your line pressure increases more aggressively right off the bottom to handle the increased power with minimal TV increase. A really good line pressure curve is beyond the scope of your basic "shift kit".

• Like 4

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

I've never really run one for very long but... (Thanks Bob Wagner!) For all the folks I've worked with attempting to get MPG's up it extremely difficult because of the way the fuel map is designed and there is no smoke control on the Smarty in other words (boost to fuel) adjustments. 

IMO it's all in the right foot. Never had an issue getting in the 20's with the smarty set to level 1.

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Depends on your mods and driving style. Some folks I've talked to on the phone fight to make 14-16 MPG with a Smarty. Then again we talk all kinds of different mods that might make or break a good MPG tune. :shrug:

Good point, but with a smarty and 300hp injectors I could kill those mpg numbers. It all comes down to how you drive. But I'm sure you know that better than anyone!

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Depends on your mods and driving style. Some folks I've talked to on the phone fight to make 14-16 MPG with a Smarty. Then again we talk all kinds of different mods that might make or break a good MPG tune. :shrug:

Very true.  I wish you guys could drive my truck at 300 ft of elevation.  I generally run smarty at 3 with the revo settings tweaked and tq mgmt on 1 or 2.  It is like driving a v10 around town and tows great.  The tst is mainly for fun or times I need a lil bit more fuel at cruise.  

I am sure though, at levels 5 and 9 will hurt any trans if driven without a lot of care, manual or auto.  And with a smarty or much any tuner, a upgraded clutch r converter + valve body + billet input is warranted.

Awesome this is exactly what I was looking to hear!

As far as smarty on the stock trans... I know I'm asking for trouble so like I said, IF I ran the smarty on the stock trans, it would be a like the lowest settings possible.

The main reason I was asking is if I see one for sale on CF or craigslist would it even be worth getting with an auto, even if I did have a built trans? 

@TFaoro I might have to take you up on that offer! :thumb1: Only question is, is it even possible to put the smarty on useable settings for a stock trans?!?