• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel problems?

Hi,

I've been having trouble with my 02 3500-  it won't start!  it'll turn over and occasionally kick once or twice but won't go- 

a couple of weeks ago my fuel gelled and I put in some Diesel911 to try to move it along,  it started and ran for like 60 seconds, then quit- 

we drained out the old diesel and put in fresh, it's got 15lbs of fuel at the vp44- we put in a new cam sensor b/c the cam and pump weren't quite in synch, checked with a solus programmer-  values all read ok but it won't run or throw any codes.

I took out the injection pump thinking I may have sheared the key,  its not sheared but it is pretty beat up-  does this mean that the pump might be bad?  Central motive is about a 40 minute drive and they quoted me $260 to test the pump on their bench.  Or should I throw a fresh key in and put it all back together to see if it runs and save some coin? 

does anyone have any input?

20160304_153734[1].jpg

I had a vp44 fail shortly after using degel stuff.

I doubt that key would cause your issues.

Have you bleed your inector lines? How much fuel is coming out of the lines when cranking?

Have you done the hot wire test?

The only problem will be that you have removed the pump and it will need to be primed so the hot wire test may be more difficult.  With it needing to be primed and doing the hot wire test you may thing the pump is dead because it won't start when in fact it needs to be bled.

• Staff

I'm probably not on the right track here but it seems to me I read about a bad overflow valve causing symptoms like yours.

Check for clean new fuel filters and may want to drop the tank and see if the fuel is clean there. Check screens for clogs on the bottom of the fuel module.

My second guess is you have an air leak causing fuel drain back to the tank or sucking in air on the suction side of the lift pump. Running rough like that means air in the lines. Check injectors for snug down as air getting in that way can cause tank drain back .

Edited by JAG1

Hey guys,   thanks for all the replys!  I have done all the blue chip tests except the hot wire.  When we cracked the injectors fuel was coming out when just cracked but it shot out good when I took the nut all the way out.

We've checked filters and flow to the pump that's all good.    Someone i talked to mentioned a return line banjo and the  Pump needing back pressure?

At this point I'm thinking I'll drop the $260... ugh

Leaky return lines can cause hard starting but it usually has to sit a while for that to happen. The leaks let air into the line draining the fuel from the system back to the tank.

Have you got good fuel like you describe to more than one injector?

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys so 1st of all don't go to central motive for a test and expect them to be straight up.    They( a guy named Craig)told me I needed a new pump and tried to sell me one but luckily I got the existing one warrantied,  installed the fresh one and lo and behold  l it all does the same gd thing-  BLACK SMOKE, NO START    I had someone look at the test print off from the old pump after and they said it looked probably fine.  Beware central motive.   I'm trying injectors next. ....    

I need to get this out of the shop so I can fix the tappet cover leak on my 01...

Cummins is a 4 letter word at my house at the moment