• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nothing to worry about?

Here's the latest of my vent tube letting off steam... I think it is twice what it was since I purchased back in October. My cap does not dance around but I am seeing a little more steam out the cap area too. I get 2-3 drips of oil when parked? Should I be concerned? 

I ordered one of these to collect the drippings and to try to reduce the amount of smoke emerging from under my truck... 

ga50ATMl.jpg

Probably best viewed in full screen... 

• Owner

Totally Normal. In the colder weather the steam is more pronounced. I will warn those capture cans can be rather messy. Even with my vent pipe in the cold weather I can see a steam trail all the way to the back of the truck. As for the oil dripping it typically because the vent tube is extended straight down. The up and over method like mine will not drip typically.

• Like 1

I decided to check my 4 wheel drive today. It engages but the 4x4 light doesn't stay lit. If I accelerate in comes on and will turn off when I let off. Is this a sure indication of a vacuum problem? I checked the line down to the vacuum pup and it seems okay. The boot on the end leaves a fair amount of black residue on my fingers but seems solid.

Yes.. and the tone of the engine changes as I flick back and forth from say defrost to feet. 

Oh.. misunderstood... I didn't check while driving. 

I found a leak and put a band aid on it for now.. I checked this last week and didn't notice it. Can I pick this stuff at NAPA?

4X4 comes on instantly and stays on!

I believe I see a reduction in vapor.. or maybe I want to :-) 

THANK YOU

NcMA59xl.jpg

• Owner
2 hours ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Yes.. and the tone of the engine changes as I flick back and forth from say defrost to feet. 

Shouldn't... Vacuum system on the truck is stand alone it doesn't affect the fuel rate. Vacuum pump is driven by the gear case and dump the air in the crank case.

I don't know.. Something changes tone (like it's putting a load on it) when I flick from defrost to another setting. I'm just happy I found my vacuum leak!! How else can a vacuum leak affect things? Especially.. long term.. on things? Is it detrimental to have that excess air going into the crank case? Can it effect gas mileage? 

here's a sound clip of me flicking in and out of defrost..

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

• Owner
Just now, dodgedieselnewbie said:

how about other effects?

A/C is use to pull the moisture out of the air on the DEF settings to aid in removing the moisture on the glass.  So as the A/C cycles in and out it will freeze up moisture then rapidly thaw out and drain out of the truck.

As for the vacuum. Again has no effect on fuel or loading. its a stand alone vacuum pump driven by the gear case. So the only thing vacuum does in pull the vent doors to the proper position.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IBMobile said:

That black stuff on your fingers is the rubber that disintegrating due to old age. It's best to replace all those connectors.  

Yup. I used the gas line we have on the snowmobiles for all of those connectors.