• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

loud bang

I took off for work this am driving down a 4 lane. had backed out of the throttle and when I eased back in heard a loud bang. Almost like some hit the axle or frame with a 5# hammer. Thought for sure i had broken something, not convinced have not yet. I pulled into the convenience store for coffee and get out and do a walk around. Nothing hanging of the truck, no fluid leaking, gauges all reading good just nothing visibly wrong. The bang seemed to come from the passenger side of the front axle best I can tell. Just not sure. I drove 40 miles to work on the interstate, no issues. Drove 40 miles back plus all around the job, nothing out of the ordinary. If I ran over something there was no sensation of it, just a loud bang like something let go. Any ideas?

• Staff

Rock stuck in tire tread let loose?  Something thrown at the truck?  Someone trying to get out of the truck bed? 

56df98253d349_animated-smileys-thinking- 

• Like 1

Got me :think: too. Definitely not a rock or someone trying to get out of the bed. This was solid,like hitting the frame or axle tube. The other week I had to put it 4 wd and it popped out, happened twice. I need to adjust the sifter. That was the first time I had used since the clutch install. This was very similar sound but louder like something broke or snapped. I put it in 4wd while in the C store parking lot where I stopped. The light lit up and the truck moved. Can something in the CAD have maybe snapped? The sound sure seemed to come from that area. Definitely metal on metal.

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Did the truck "jump" 

No, just the bang

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Bathed in gear lube typically.

You are right, You win a cupie doll.

4 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I don't have 4 wheel drive but is there a lube point for the CAD that may need a squirt or two off something? 

You are wrong. See Mike for a cupie doll. I here he has one now.:lmao2::lmao::lmao2:

• Staff
13 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Don't need a cupie doll.  I married one. 

56e0e0dd8cb03_2001.gif.c158baeb329ab1cd1

I believe her name is Betty Boop created for cartoons in the 1930s or 40's

Did you ever find out what that bang was?  I had some odd thumps going on this weekend.  It was coming from the rear and it wasn't consistent.  I realized that my Rock Tamer mud flaps would sway and hit the rear bumper.  I'm glad that is what it was.  I adjusted them and the are good to go now.

Have not figured it out yet. Started raining here. I cant see anything out of the ordinary. No dangling parts or anything loose and no fluid leaking anywhere. Truck is driving fine. I guess I could have run over something but as loud as the bang was it seems like I would have seen something or felt something. So for now it is still a mystery.