• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is this a TV cable thing?

12 hours ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

TPS - throttle position sensor? Determined by your right foot? Moderate throttle.. not too soft and not flooring it to me... if I remember correctly.. shifting takes place in the 2200 range. Sound about right?

Ideally. My TV cable is off right now and it shifts ways to soon and locks up way to soon. Terrible for driving around in town under 40mph under light throttle. As stated above, I like my gears to hang a little bit so I'm not dogging the motor. You want to keep RPMs up a little so your turbo is spooling and building some boost to get the hot exhaust gas out. My dodge is happy between 1800 an 2200 RPMs. 

4 minutes ago, CTcummins24V said:

Ideally. My TV cable is off right now and it shifts ways to soon and locks up way to soon. Terrible for driving around in town under 40mph under light throttle. As stated above, I like my gears to hang a little bit so I'm not dogging the motor. You want to keep RPMs up a little so your turbo is spooling and building some boost to get the hot exhaust gas out. My dodge is happy between 1800 an 2200 RPMs. 

I'm not sure if I read this right, but if you're driving your truck around with the TV cable disconnected...DON'T...!! Aside from it stacking the shifts, you're getting no line pressure boost. This will burn up a transmission in short order.

I typically set up the 24 valves to shift at about 2100-2200 rpm at moderate throttle, and 12 valves slightly earlier (100-150 rpm or so). It's not an exact science, and is somewhat subjective, but that should get you close.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dynamic said:

I'm not sure if I read this right, but if you're driving your truck around with the TV cable disconnected...DON'T...!! Aside from it stacking the shifts, you're getting no line pressure boost. This will burn up a transmission in short order.

I typically set up the 24 valves to shift at about 2100-2200 rpm at moderate throttle, and 12 valves slightly earlier (100-150 rpm or so). It's not an exact science, and is somewhat subjective, but that should get you close.

Sorry, it's connected, just misadjusted. I swapped out a single disc for a triple disc last summer and I haven't played the cable enough to get it exactly where I want it. It shifts great at heavy and moderate throttle, but light throttle around town is miserable. I keep it in 2nd now when going through the center of town with all the lights and traffic. 

Well.. I borrowed a friend's smarty because I wanted to see if I could program/set the tire size to correct my speedo.... but it doesn't appear to stay with the truck when you remove the smarty program. No biggie.

However, the smarty did pick up 2 DTCs that for some reason my OBDLink didn't (???)...

P0122 TPS low voltage and P1693 I think it said - JTEC module companion code

Appears I have some research to do... 

EDIT:

While the OBDLink said no trouble codes found but it did have the companion code in the freeze frame..

uqZs4dGl.png

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

3 hours ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

I'm still trying to understand if there is even an issue. The Smarty shows the codes and the OBDLink doesn't. 

I did plan on picking up a Timbo to have it with me on long trips.. just in case.

If your apps is stock, just go buy a timbo's apps.  The resolution is far better and the truck drives better, the cruise works better, and the trans shifts smoother. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CSM said:

If your apps is stock, just go buy a timbo's apps.  The resolution is far better and the truck drives better, the cruise works better, and the trans shifts smoother. 

Dude I knew the timbo was the way to go if the apps ever went out but I think you just sold me on getting one now! Hahah

5 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Dude I knew the timbo was the way to go if the apps ever went out but I think you just sold me on getting one now! Hahah

I could be wrong, but I've installed two on two different trucks and the different was significant to me.

On 3/14/2016 at 9:08 AM, CTcummins24V said:

Sorry, it's connected, just misadjusted. I swapped out a single disc for a triple disc last summer and I haven't played the cable enough to get it exactly where I want it. It shifts great at heavy and moderate throttle, but light throttle around town is miserable. I keep it in 2nd now when going through the center of town with all the lights and traffic. 

This is quite common. With any kind of elevated line pressure, the OEM lockup calibrations will make a triple disc a miserable experience, especially at light throttle. Backing off those calibrations is not as straightforward as you'd think because you need to make the exhaust slot in the separator plate narrower to control the release of fluid from the converter; ie. different separator plate.

• Like 2