• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Both Rear Wheel Very Hot

Hey Folks,  Its been a while since I've been here, but now I need a little help.  After I drove 15 miles to work, I noticed a burning smell, but dismissed it to be from somewhere else.  Driving home, I noticed a slight hum and also some unusual vibration.  I thought I may have a seriously low tire.  Not so.  By the time I got home, the burn smell was very strong.  I felt the rear wheels.  Whoa!  Both rear wheels were super hot - I couldn't keep a hand on them more than a second.  I pulled a wheel and didn't notice anything unusual - I think.    What's going on here?  Thanks in advance.

Eric

ok, Dif lube also lube the bearings at the and of the axle tubes. no lube to cool things and that ill make things get hot.

the inner Drum E-brake is set and dragging then that will transfer heat to the wheels. assuming that were adjusted correctly, yes both wheels will be hot.

if the rotors are dragging and heating up that will also transfer heat to the wheels.

So. you can get a temp gun. drive around a bit and check the center pumpkin temp, then the outer brake rotors temp. that'll narrow it down real fast.

I would want to check the diff fluid since you said some one just serviced it. I would want to know if it is low before I took it back to who ever serviced it. Do you know what kind of lube they put in the dif? And if a LS rear did they put the extra lube for the clutches. Not sure the latter would cause the overheating though,

Maybe proportion valve If It has one since both wheels get hot, happened on mine before but it was calipers, rebuild both for 20 some bucks no more problems. Weird thing was it would drag but by the time I park and try to roll the truck they would let go but for 20 bucks and some brake fluid in did it anyway.

• Owner
On 3/16/2016 at 6:15 PM, ESmith said:

Had it serviced 5K ago.  No evidence of leaks. 

Don't assume. I've seen people blow up axles for that same comment. "It was just serviced xx k miles ago". So are you sure it's filled up completely? Did something start to fail anyways? (Any metal glitter in the oil)

On 3/16/2016 at 6:20 PM, ESmith said:

Would that make both rear wheels hot?

What's the brake fluid look like? Is the calipers binding up? The only way to check that you have to pull the calipers off the truck and disassemble them and check the piston clearance without seals in place. The pistons should drop to the bottom of the bores without being pushed.