• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

what grease to use where.

Molly, lithium, hi temp. etc.

So what grease is used where? i currently have a molly grease in my grease gun. is it safe for say u-joints? ball joints? CV joints tractor pivot joints. wheel bearing?

i've read and read on this and can't really fin d a good answer. just that new grease is better then none.

anyone care to explain.  i have a case of JT-6 extreme hi temp and pressure red stuff but was told by a few people that molly is the best going.

what about the Lithium? where would i use that?

The way one reads most forums i'd need 12 grease guns... i have two but only ever grab one.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-grease.aspx

all the infro you need on grease

really, if i only had only one type of grease it would be the red moly high temp stuff, if its good enough for wheel bearings it should be good enough for universal joints and ball joints, and spring hanger pins, ext..... about the only time i would use a cheaper multi use is if I was greasing large tractor pins or impliment pins.

the blue marine grease is good stuff too, its all I use in the boat trailer wheel bearings

• Like 1

• Owner

Anything that has a zerk fitting. Then the things that don't have zerk fitting I've got a true grease needle. I can carefully insert to the rubber boot and refill boot with grease it fills out not swells. Being you do this method of greasing you can't have any pressure inside the boot other than that grease weeps back out. So far I've still running factory OEM tire rod end and sway bar links.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Anything that has a zerk fitting. Then the things that don't have zerk fitting I've got a true grease needle. I can carefully insert to the rubber boot and refill boot with grease it fills out not swells. Being you do this method of greasing you can't have any pressure inside the boot other than that grease weeps back out. So far I've still running factory OEM tire rod end and swap bar links.

That's impressive!

I use only certified organic 100% free trade leprechaun grease.  

In all seriousness, I use what is in the grease gun.  I think it is just a general purpose bearing grease in there. 

Edited by CSM

• Staff
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:00 PM, 01cummins4ever said:

if i only had only one type of grease it would be the red moly high temp stuff

That's the type of grease that the axle manufacturer recommends for the wheel bearing of my 5th wheel.  I found it in the Penns Oil brand at Wal Mart one year and bought every tub of it they had.  I haven't seen it, Penns Oil brand, there since.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:00 PM, 01cummins4ever said:

the blue marine grease is good stuff too, its all I use in the boat trailer wheel bearings

I have blue grease loaded in my bearing buddies on the boat trailer.  The best boat wheel bearing grease I've found is the Mystik  JT-6 high performance marine grease.  It's extra tacky and not runny/watery like Sta-Lub marine grease.