• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Destroyed Dana 70 rear end...

• Owner
4 minutes ago, CSM said:

I think I found an 01.5 one.  1000 bucks.  These things are kinds hard to find.  

No kidding. I was looking for two control arms for the truck I'm working on and I can say is there isn't much for parts here in Idaho (Boise Area). Doesn't matter if its a gas or diesel most of the bone yards are getting rather empty of Dodge Ram's.

50 minutes ago, CSM said:

I think I found an 01.5 one.  1000 bucks.  These things are kinds hard to find.  

That's because the Dana 80 single rear wheel with disc brakes are about as common as the 98 quad cab 12 valve, had a short run. I paid 1100 for mine about 10 years ago that came out of a totaled pickup.

2 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

That's because the Dana 80 single rear wheel with disc brakes are about as common as the 98 quad cab 12 valve, had a short run. I paid 1100 for mine about 10 years ago that came out of a totaled pickup.

Any other parts you needed other than the top and bottom plates?   Blocks?  E brake cable? 

Don't forget to get new u-bolts for the 80, they are a bit wider due to the bigger diameter of the axle tubes which is why you need the upper plate that sits on top of the spring pack and lower saddle that goes under the axle tube. Also don't forget the drive shaft needs to be shortened an inch or get the shaft from the d80 rig as well.

Other than that the brake lines and e-brake hooks up the exact same.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, notlimah said:

It looks like this guys selling a 6-speed swap off a 2500, he might have the 80 with it for sale!

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-2nd-gen-all-products/1995122-fs-6-speed-swap-02-2500-a.html

I should have a new one here out of Nebraska this next week. 

Thanks though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update.  

btShmLv.jpg

PppfUEq.jpg

ItTyJX4.jpg

I9Wq6rg.jpg

ga7g7lo.jpg

Shop buddy.

wcpN8hC.jpg

Found a complete 80 with mag hytec front d60 cover and rear cover for 1200, no core charge.  I kept my brakes and the internals of the axle looked really clean.  I will be changing the axle bearings and seals eventually, but for now it works.  I ordered new u bolts in 9/16ths over the stock 1/2 inch, as nobody I found would make or stocked 15x3 1/2 u bolts.  I also had to get my driveshaft shortened by about 1.75 or so.  There is a good shop in Denver I used, bills performance driveshaft.  And no, that isn't my shop, it broke at the family farm several hours away... but, John deere makes a nice hoist.  Haha.  

I also sent my steering box to blue top.  Quick shipping and low cost.  I cross threaded two bolts on the install... I'm not sure if it was like that when I pulled it or if I damaged it on the install.  I do wish I had chased and lubed the threads prior to install.  The truck steers vastly better now.  

• Like 1

The first thing I was going to mention was the shop! Looks real nice!

Glad you were able to get a decent priced axle. Where did the shop cut the driveshaft to shorten it?

I wonder how different the blue top is from red head lol

Look like it's time for some paint :stirthepot: 

I'm very interested in how the steering gear works out for you! We talked about this earlier, but rolling mine around the shop this weekend was miserable. Even while rolling it was extremely hard to turn the wheel... I may have figured out what keeps killing my PS pumps.....

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not to hijack the thread but there is a wonder clip of a what looks like a 1971 Dodge Charger in the photos. :drool:

We rescued it from a junk yard about 20 years ago for 200 bucks.  It needs a lot.  Thr fenders and hood are very very rough. Trunk is sprung.  Parts are missing. I put a 318 and 904 in it and got it driving but my dad pulled it.  For some reason he likes to take cars apart but not put them back together.  Ive put two on the road (varrying degrees of jalopy) and he has disassembled them to hang panels and repaint.  Some day once i save the money i will do some stuff with old cars again. Im hoping 4-5 years or so.  

6 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Look like it's time for some paint :stirthepot: 

I'm very interested in how the steering gear works out for you! We talked about this earlier, but rolling mine around the shop this weekend was miserable. Even while rolling it was extremely hard to turn the wheel... I may have figured out what keeps killing my PS pumps.....

Yeah.  It needs it.  

Id give them a try.  Ryan at blue top ia easy to work with. 

7 hours ago, notlimah said:

The first thing I was going to mention was the shop! Looks real nice!

Glad you were able to get a decent priced axle. Where did the shop cut the driveshaft to shorten it?

I wonder how different the blue top is from red head lol

Its a one piece, so off one of the ends.

Blue top is 179 for a rebuild with return shipping.  

• Like 1