• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Destroyed Dana 70 rear end...

So, when back in my home town on some R&R/family time, I decided to do a simple quick, 5 sec burnout just for kicks and grins... right in front of my folks place just like old times.  The turbo began to spool all normal, and BANG, followed by some minor crunchy sounds.  

No pictures as of yet, but upon removing what used to be the cap on the axle, out fell several one inch triangles of axle, metal chips, and the bearing adjusting nut that formerly held the bearings.  Near as I can tell, the axle broke and wedged itself in there and pushed the hub off about a half inch or so, breaking the nut as it came off. 

The hub won't even come off as the bearings are wedged in there.  They move slightly, but won't make it past the messed up tube and threads.  

Edited by CSM

Wow that sucks, I don't know if I seen them break in that spot, I thought usually it's next to splines. Like mentioned before it was probably stressed out from all of the years and it took that little bit to finish it off. It's ether that or you have way too much torque might want to detune your truck :burnout: 

Maybe good time to find a hybrid D80 

Edited by Dieselfuture

15 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Wow that sucks, I don't know if I seen them break in that spot, I thought usually it's next to splines. Like mentioned before it was probably stressed out from all of the years and it took that little bit to finish it off. It's ether that or you have way too much torque might want to detune your truck :burnout: 

Maybe good time to find a hybrid D80 

Im rebuilding it.   I'm not shortening my one piece driveshaft for an 80... it was cracked in two places, which is really odd. I'm willing to bet a set of yukon axles will be fine after this. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Or less traction on the tires. One of the few reasons I went down one tire size. Between the generated torque and the tire traction something in between will fail.

I'm running stockers. The turbo just began to spool when it popped.  Probably 5psi at the most. 

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Or less traction on the tires. One of the few reasons I went down one tire size. Between the generated torque and the tire traction something in between will fail.

These rear ends are pretty tough. Tire size, especially stockers aren't going to cause too much traction and make it break. 

Like the other guys said, good thing it happened where it did. I'd chalk it up to crap happens when you're playing. 

1 hour ago, TFaoro said:

These rear ends are pretty tough. Tire size, especially stockers aren't going to cause too much traction and make it break. 

Like the other guys said, good thing it happened where it did. I'd chalk it up to crap happens when you're playing. 

This is what happens when I get stuck on dog monitor duty at 1 am while my sister is having a baby.  Dumb crap... lol.  though, I think it would have failed this year based off how easy it failed and the two flats indicating pre existing cracks in the axle.

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What kind of tread face? H/T, A/T or M/T

At.  Nitto. 

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Stock size maybe not. But tire make up being A/T style might of. Remember this isn't a fresh new axle it a axle with over 14 year of life already on the metals.

:thumbup2:  You make a valid point. I'm still going to guess it was already stress fractured or something though

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dripley said:

I was talking to someone the other day about doing a burnout. Only thing that was holding me back is a driveline all oe with 370k on it. Not sure how much stress it would take.

You've got a dana 80.  Much beefier unit than mine.