• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mechanical FP gauge

So I was on the phone was FASS and I was sitting in my truck with it idling watching the gauge hop around and all the sudden it just stopped and didn't do it again. Drove all the way home, no issues. Parked for a bit up hill and when I went to start it even bumped the fuel pressure up to like 5psi. Started no problem and no pressure fluctuation.

The only thing I can think of that fixed this was tightening the return line on the FASS. That's the only thing I changed. I guess it was leaking a little air in the line and causing some fluctuation in my pressure. We'll see if that fixes my hard start when parked uphill.

6 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

On fuel temp in vp, my guage says 130ish when driving down hwy. That's coming from my qwadzila. Tank full or empty. 

I didn't know the quad had a fuel temp?! That's cool man! I just figured the fuel is hotter on a low tank because one time since I had my fuel boss I ran the tank really low on a long trip. When I got off the highway to get fuel my pressure dropped from 17 at cruising speed to like 13-14 at idle. It scared me at first, but when I filled up with fuel, everything went back to normal so I assumed it was due to the fuel being heated up and getting a lot thinner. Maybe I was wrong? 

20 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

On fuel temp in vp, my guage says 130ish when driving down hwy. That's coming from my qwadzila. Tank full or empty. 

Did not know there was a fuel temp sensor on the engine or fuel system. Did you have to add a sensor?

Interesting. With so many heat related failures from low fuel volume/pressure I would think the code would be more common. I wonder if that temp sensor is unreliable or the threshold for high fuel temperature is just too high. Does make me wonder with what Dieselfuture said about his temp being the same with fuel tank full or empty. I was pretty sure the fuel would be quite a bit warmer when the tank is on the low side. What do you think Mike?

In that case I wonder why it is that the alternators in these trucks have so many issues with AC noise. Or is it just that the VP and other electronics in these trucks are uncommonly sensitive to AC? 

With regard to to the fuel temp, I just meant shouldn't the fuel be significantly hotter when the tank is at 1/8 vs 3/4? 

• Owner

Both... As they increased the amperage of the alternator the wattage gets higher and heat becomes the issues on the diodes. As for the electronics they are just simple computers like your laptop or cellphone. Now try charging your cell phone with a bad charger and tell me what it does to the cell phone? So the ECM has everything just like a laptop. A CPU, (Hard drive) which is a PROM (Programmable Read Only Memory), then RAM to excute the software from once booted up and interfaces like MOSFET's turning power on and off to different things. VP44 is it own standalone computer with its own PROM, CPU, RAM, etc. Since you can do the BlueChip hot wire test this proves there is some logic there to control it as a standalone.

23 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

No, just part of qwadzilla options for one of the monitoring options. 

There is a sensor in the VP that monitors fuel temp? There has to be something the Quad reads it from.

Just now, dripley said:

There is a sensor in the VP that monitors fuel temp? There has to be something the Quad reads it from.

That would be my guess, man if only I could figure out why I'm not able to post pictures. Every time I click on reply button that attachment paper clip shows up for a quick second then disappears.