• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injector Rattle/Pinging/Panging

Last summer I installed some 7x.009 (100hp) VCO injectors and have only put a couple thousand miles on them, slight upgrade from my previous 60hp VCOs. I have been getting a really loud pinging/panging when the the torque converter is locked and under load. Doesn't happen in 1st or 2nd gear and it clears up around 2000rpm when the turbo is really flowing. It's definitely coming from the motor. Anyone experience this? I was reading about pre detonation and it sounds like it. Only happens under good throttle and almost always up hill under load. Any thoughts?

Edited by CTcummins24V

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I think I found the issue. Finally dropped the transmission and at the end of it I had 7 bolts. Some shade tree mechanic left a torque converter bolt stuck in between the flexplate and the engine/trans adapter from the last tranny r&r...idiot!

I'm shipping my converter out to get restalled and have Phil from DPC inspect everything too. It has a 15 written on it, I'm guessing that means 15 blade. Everywhere I look a 15 blade is an ultra low stall, which is way to tight for my liking. Bangs into drive from park, creeps off the line with no throttle, really smokey and laggy off the line.

My questions is, if the bolt was just sitting there loose on the engine/trans adapter, just above the crank, why was it only rattling under lockup? Any input?