• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Manual Trans Conversion - Seeking Advice/Tips/Issues/etc

12 hours ago, notlimah said:

Dude where's the pics?!?!

They are mixed between my phone, my dad's & computer (few downloaded thus far).  I plan to orgize them in some sort of fashion so nothing random gets posted.

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

All I see is a automatic transmission sitting against the wall. Trucks gone so I assume it completed and converted. 

Yep :thumb1:, I am now shifting my own gears :cheers:.  The truck went on a 1/2 mile test run just to make sure the major functions (starting/stopping/shift/ect) were 100% issue free.  This upcoming weekend the truck will get finished (no interior at the moment) and a longer test drive circuit (+/- 5 mile loop) has been laid out by my Dad & I.  If the test circuit does well, then I will drive it back to its normal home 25 miles away from the work shop.

Oh and to those that wonder I have some take a ways thus far...

1. Running just a down-pipe is really load but sounds awesome
  2. The auto ECM has some anti-stall programing :poke: ie no throttle needed for 2nd gear starts
  3. You will get an check engine light (need to confirm codes) but the engine power is not affected.  I have zero interior (could trigger something) and the trans temp light flashes (have a fooler ready to install).
Edited by NightHawk
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Manuals have it too.... At least mine does.

Oh, and VIDEO or it didn't happen :stirthepot: 

Video is like a ways out, gotta work out the bugs before showing off the truck.

12 hours ago, dripley said:

I thought it was only on the manuals.

My research found that it exists on the auto ECM for shifting between, P N R D.  The software is programmed to sense changes in engine load/demand based on throttle %.  Added load/demand (tc or clutch) @ 0% throttle creates a similar condition in terms of computer reaction.  

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That was my thought to. Why would Auto PCM and ECM have manual software? Did you swap them?

Research for my swap found that the programming was very similar and only small tweaks were made for each trans setup.  Not sure how true this is, but from a cost aspect of producing these truck it only makes sense.  I am still running auto PCM & ECM.

• Like 1

Update:

Truck is fully back together interior wise and has completed +/- 50 miles of varies driving conditions. I am upset to report its not all trouble free, as the front drive shaft does not fit as its too long by ½ inch or so since we cannot compress enough for it to slid in. In addition, the Tcase has developed a drip after the 4th road road (see below) which is very frustrating as it seems to appear out of no where.

Test Drives thus Far:

1. .5 mile for verification of function which was all good

2. 8 miles for major test, no issues were found on the truck

3. 15 miles to my buddies place for first test after everything was re-check and no issues

4. 25 miles back to my place where the truck is stored, Tcase started to drip after sitting overnight

Current codes:

1. P0753

2. P1763

Edited by NightHawk

So got my gauges back in & did some more driving this weekend.

Noticed the following things below (all odd to me), any insight?

1. EGT is down in all driving conditions (avg/low/high) compared to auto
  2. Boost is down as well which seems weird but truck is way sharper in response to throttle imputes
  3. Fuel pump can no longer keep up....with the auto roll to WOT in 3rd lock (1:1) was 11psi with a "upgraded" airtex and with the nv4500 in 4th roll to WOT its 9psi.
  4. TS MVP in 100% position ( as a comparison) generated no smoke under light throttle driving (did with auto, slight haze @ low boost) but with manual created more transitional smoke as in throttle roll on.
  5. Mileage is improved :thumb1: but more then expected 16.5 with auto to 17.8 with manual, time will tell on this one. 

1. I'd say normal.... Manuals are more efficient.

2. I'd say normal... you're using less power to move. Sharper because engine is loading harder when you do hit the throttle.

3. Weird....

4. Normal

5. Normal when seeing #1 and #2.

I bet you're enjoying rowing your own gears!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

I have 300miles on the setup now, and promise to get a video going shortly once i have a willing copilot. 

I do have one thing (prob tune related since its an auto tune still) and that is 3rd gear under light load (no boost) has some noticeable sound increase in the injection cycle (aka timing).   This is with the TS MVP all the way up (what other setting is there with a manual, not a stock auto :poke:).

Anybody have thoughts on this, occurs about 25mph/1500-1600rpm by as soon as you give it enough throttle to build boost it completely goes away.  Also, anyone have a smarty S03 i can barrow or purchase....

:thanks:

Edited by NightHawk

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, notlimah said:

I think I've all but convinced myself I need to do a manual swap...

Row row row your boat...   I like manuals too, but I won't go back unless I have a daily truck and then a tow truck.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CSM said:

Row row row your boat...   I like manuals too, but I won't go back unless I have a daily truck and then a tow truck.  

I hear ya! I'm lucky because the wife drives a 2014 GMC Sierra so any time we need to do 'city' or 'commuting' stuff we take her rig. Leaves my truck for towing and fun! My commute is 10 minutes tops and I miss driving a manual! It all started with a 5speed Volkswagen caddy diesel!

1 minute ago, notlimah said:

I hear ya! I'm lucky because the wife drives a 2014 GMC Sierra so any time we need to do 'city' or 'commuting' stuff we take her rig. Leaves my truck for towing and fun! My commute is 10 minutes tops and I miss driving a manual! It all started with a 5speed Volkswagen caddy diesel!

You guys are strange.  I worked with an Annapolis grad who drives nothing but his fleet (of 5) 1980s Cadillac and Buick diesels.  I liked the caddys though, and kinda wanted his Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance...  It made you feel like you were driving Ronald Reagan around.