• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1998 12v quad cab opening doors?????

I found a nice 1998 dodge ram 2500 with a 12v.  The guys said---------- I have for sale a very rare 1998 dodge 2500 Cummins diesel. These trucks where only made for 4 months in 98 with the older style Mechanical 12valve engine with the good P7100 injection pump. It also came from factory with the newer 24valve interior and a a full quad Cab, with all 4 doors opening. All the 12valve trucks from 94-98 that where quad cab, had only the two front doors open and the back doors where solid non opening doors. This is also what makes the truck super rare cause is it near impossible to find a 12valve with a full 4 door quad cab. Aside from a little history on the truck here are the specs on it. 
I bought the truck off the original owner with 260,000kms. He had purchased it new in 98 and it was a special order from dodge because he wanted the 12valve engine that was an option that year and full quad cab 8 foot box. Full Laramie package with wood grain dash, leather seats, over head console, Cassette and Cd radio, rear sliding window, power mirrors, power locks, etc. The truck also came with a factory installed Cummins Exhaust Brake---------------   

My question is. Is it standard in 1998 with new interior of 24v and rear opening doors and get a 12v in option??  or this truck is only a 24v model that the guys put a 12v in??   1998 and older in quad cab truck the rear doors don't open???     Final   would it be a good buy? 275 000km truck looks clean and could it be a reliable truck?    Thanks  lot of questions  haha!!

I don't know anything about BD transmissions. Hopefully someone else here can give you some feedback on them. I'm not sure if it's the same for a 12v, but on a 24v a 5 hole injector would be a not as efficient one. So if you looking for fuel economy or don't want too much smoke, I think you'll have to plan on changing those. $16,000 sounds really high to me unless the truck is super super clean....sounds like he knows he's got the holy grail of years and is trying to get a high price just because of that. All just my opinion of course. 

Price seems a little high to me unless it is in really nice shape. Also for leathermaneod 5 hole injectors are the standard on 12v's there are some guys making 7 hole injectors for them but the majority of the injectors are 5 hole.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bjytech said:

Also for leathermaneod 5 hole injectors are the standard on 12v's there are some guys making 7 hole injectors for them but the majority of the injectors are 5 hole.

Thanks for the info! I don't know much about the 12v, guess I should have kept my mouth shut lol. Thanks again, always like to learn! 

Thanks guys for your opinions. I'll try to contact the guys this weekend to get more infos. I would like your opinions first, I know its hard if you dont see the truck too....  I'm around 7 hours of trip to see the truck so would like some opinions..  And wich questions to ask!!   thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Ya i've always heard of them as "98 1/2's" they are not common but certanly not super rare. 

When nobody knew anything about the vp44 trucks or why the inj pumps were failing, everyone wanted this truck because it had the best of both worlds. 

16,000 is crazy high unless the truck has 100,000 km's or something. Even then it's still an old truck....

• 7 months later...
  • Staff
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 3:10 AM, Frankstein said:

Thanks guys!!!!   I think the truck is sold.  :(    No more add but I keep his number.

I've been looking too and noticing a lot of 2nd gen 12 valves that are molested or beat. When a good one comes along  it's usually gone the next day. I realized you have to have money ready before starting to look. and the ones taken care of and still original are asking more money.

Edited by JAG1

Yes exactly for the money difference!!!  and yes exactly you need money in hand if you found a real nice one or a deal. they're not last long!!  :)

More luck to find a good one for you guys in USA than in Canada. Here in Quebec there's a lot of rusty trucks even mine start a lot.  Winter Salty roads of Quebec :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 7:37 AM, jlbayes said:

More common than the 99 or 00 24vs with non-opening doors. Talk about a head scratcher.

From 97 until 01 these trucks could be anything...  Mine was a shelf cleaning truck, old style dash with rest of interior being new style with quad cab and 24 valve.  Then when checking the motor stamp my motor comes back as a 97 but it's a 24 valve figure that one out...