• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can you? Yes, but the specs of the turbo will determine what RPM it will spool at.

I wouldn't expect you to like the spool of a turbo that would keep your temps in check though. You're probably talking 2000+ rpm before you start to see some power. If your converter isn't setup for a large single that'll make it worse yet. 

2 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I'll likely be through on Friday or Saturday

That might just work.  Text me when you get it tied down to a specific day.

1 hour ago, Silverdodge said:

I got a vary tight low stall converter 

As do I.  I like it around town, but towing it is rough.  Ive stupidly been as heavy as 22k gcvw.  It was a pig to get off the line and possibly wouldnt up a steep hill.  

You will be happier, in my opinion, with something that spools fast in a single than a big slow spool turbo.  Twins are best though, I wish I had done twins rather than my single.  Twins with a tight converter would drive great around town.  

Even then though, I caution you.  Your truck likely has a dana 70.  I killed mine quite spectactularly after towing. A tight converter, 1st gear, injectors and a chip will twist the axles right off.  I now have a dana 80!  Food for thought, and if yours has been a pulling truck, id pull the axle shafts at some point and look for twisted splines and cracks at the flange.  

In theory a quick spool t3 t4 should let me spool an s468 daily right and my 70 has hardend rear gears and pinion so I'm assuming the axles are OK hope and pray I guess and no not apposed to compounds but I like not having another turbo in my way 

I tend to be nice with my truck 

• Owner

That half the problem as you continue to build power in these truck there is always something between the engine and the tires that is weaker. Mine happened to be the main shaft of the NV4500 and it broke off at the 3rd/4th syncro. I've already got a Dana 80 rear so solid there. 

The half of the battle is getting the fuel and boost right across the entire range of throttle. As injectors get bigger you need more boost pressure to create enough heat in the cylinder during compression to convert the liquid fuel to vapor to make it go BANG! Same token you need the air cool enough that it doesn't drive the EGT through the roof either. I think there is a limitation on how far you can go because of cam, porting of the head etc. Yeah I know you can run bigger turbos or twins but still in all gotta clean up the loses along the way in designing high HP engines. 

10 hours ago, Silverdodge said:

In theory a quick spool t3 t4 should let me spool an s468 daily right and my 70 has hardend rear gears and pinion so I'm assuming the axles are OK hope and pray I guess and no not apposed to compounds but I like not having another turbo in my way 

I tend to be nice with my truck 

For anything but racing that turbo is going to suck.... it'll smoke like a dog until you can get on top of it, and by then it might be too late to keep egts in check. I would guess towing would be near impossible, especially if it's heavy. 

• 10 months later...

Finally found your thread, how you like your 63/68/12 still using it? I just got 62/67/12 ordered

I guess you did mention it in my thread that you like your turbo that answers my question if you still using it. Who built it for you.

Edited by Dieselfuture

I'm still running the turbo and ya I like it it does what I want i daily tow commute ECT with it it is kind of lagy but u get used to it but it's not horrible and it was built by black sky racing it would be a hell of a lot better with a looser TQ but it's the way I set the truck up I mean it lights and hard

Edited by Silverdodge
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Would a 63 68 14wg turbo be to much for a stock truck with 150hp injectors, quadzilla adrenaline and airdog 150? I dont tow very much at all, I want a nice setup for when I want to play with it and not smoke everything out behind me. I have a auto trans with 3.55 gears and running 35's. Thanks

I'm replacing my injection pump next weekend and rebuilding my fuel system to include a bottom sump and a pressure gauge (doh). I have always struggled with egt's on the Chummy. I'm looking at all of the turbo options and it's just so confusing. This is my first turbo diesel truck and I've been reading and reading and I just can't seem to wrap my mind around all the parameters. I'm happy with the power I have now and spool is good but I just can't seem to get my egt's below 800* at cruising speeds. 35's geared to 4.10. I run exactly 1860 RPM's at 70mph and I still have high egt's. I have had the injectors rebuilt and I have searched extensively for boost leaks. I have my quadzilla set on the basic tune and I drive it daily on level 4/10. My exhaust is 4" down to 5" straight with no muffler. Would a 35/40 be the best bet since I'm happy with everything else, I just need more volume up top? Or would I be better off with a 40? 

I have no idea what size turbo. To much miss information on foroumns.

Really no clue what the 62 65 14 turbo will do for me.

Sounds like my hy35 is running cooler than yours.

I'm on 100injectors smarty on 9 and waste gate turnbuckled. 

Also have 3.55s and 35s run same rpm as you. Towing a 10k machine is when things get toasty.

Hopping the turbo helps that.