• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

On to the next problem, a leaking head gasket.

@Mopar1973Man If this was your truck how would you go about flushing the rust out of the cooling system?

Have yet another issue. Like a dummy I forgot to unplug the coolant temp sensor when removing the head and broke the sensor and the flipping plug :doh: smiley_abused.gif Where would a person find another plug at?

Edited by The_Hammer

@Me78569 Thanks!

We'll the two manifold bolts that broke off would not come out after applying heat and using an easy out. So, I'm drilling it out and using longer bolts with nuts. 

The valve guides don't have any play whatsoever, awesome. I'm about to do a light lapping with some fine clover compound.

Yay or nay on the exhaust valves?

20160719_200732.jpg

ETA: Answered my own question, they leak :doh:

ETA #2: After 20 minutes lapping the leaking valve I just about have it sealed up. It would be a lot easier if I had something stouter than fine lapping compound smiley_abused.gif I'll be picking up some medium and corse compound tomorrow.

Edited by The_Hammer

• Owner

As for the block flush, it list here on M73M.com in an old post. The product is a clear liquid sold in a round 1-gallon jug and more or less a plain white label if I remember right. It's a pretty stout chemical being it will remove rust and scale build-up from the entire cooling system. It's actually designed for engines. If I'm not mistaken Cummins sells it. (IIRC...)

Edited by Mopar1973Man

13 hours ago, The_Hammer said:

Yay or nay on the exhaust valves?

20160719_200732.jpg

ETA: Answered my own question, they leak :doh:

ETA #2: After 20 minutes lapping the leaking valve I just about have it sealed up. It would be a lot easier if I had something stouter than fine lapping compound smiley_abused.gif I'll be picking up some medium and corse compound tomorrow.

The valve itself looks good! Not sharp on the edge, no deep grooves, etc. Assuming the stem looks good and you can get them all sealed up you should be good to go!

• Like 1

Finally got her back together today. I was losing a LOT of compression from the leaking exhaust valves, my turbo sounds completely different now, like a normal HX35. It's never sounded like other 12v trucks until now. The power has increased quite a bit as well, it's VERY noticeable to say the least. It idles smoother and just sounds better too. I'm also happy to finally have a 4k GSK, now the truck pulls hard all the way to 3800 rpm or so.

I'm running without a thermostat for now while I flush the rust out of everything. I'm going to order some Evaporust Thermocure to try and flush it all out. Once I'm done I'll be filling with 50/50 premix, which brand I'm not sure yet

Edited by The_Hammer