• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front axle seal leak

Hi all, 

my passenger side front axle seal was leaking when I bought my truck so I had a local place change it out. I looked into doing it myself but it wasn't cost effective duke to needing a special tool. Anyway about 7 months later it started getting wet there again. Not near as bad as the first time but still wet. I took it back and they changed it again, but couldn't tell me why it failed. They claimed it looked fine. Anyway it still hasn't totally dried out and its been a month or so. It wasn't wet enough to be able to be able to prove its still leaking though. Now I just went on a 600 mile round trip home and before I left I topped off the front diff because I hadn't checked it after they replaced the seal. Well when I got home again I saw what looks like some more fresh oil/grease spots in the wheel well, and sure enough the end if the axle tube looks more wet again. Has anyone's else had issues with these things leaking continually? I read somewhere that they can be a pain if you overfill the diff which I do....I thought it was better to overfill on something like that. I basically fill till it comes out the hole instead of stopping when its 1/2 inch below like your supposed to. Anyone else experience this or know of something else that's could be causing it? 

• Owner

I had Big O Tires in Ontario, OR install wheel bearings in the front axle. After installing the seals they started leaking. The owner Michael was very nice and warranty the seals. So Mike set up appointment for the shop in Ontario, OR to have the seals replaced. Since then they been replaced and never had another issue. 

So my question is the wear ring in the shaft?

I guess that's a possibility. I'm just not sure how to proceed from here. What could be done if there is a wear mark? It's really odd too because it's only the passenger side....

I was just reading on cf of a guy with a similar problem. His did have a groove though, but apparently you can get a speedy sleeve for it. A guy on there also mentioned that it will leak if overfilled though. I just don't get why I didn't leak from the beginning when overfilled. 

Are there any bearings or bushings supporting that axle shaft that shaft that could be worn out and allowing too much play and wearing out the seal prematurely?

Edited by leathermaneod

• Owner
1 hour ago, leathermaneod said:

A guy on there also mentioned that it will leak if overfilled though. I just don't get why I didn't leak from the beginning when overfilled.

Internet Myth. The only reason other reason it would leak is the vent is plugged up and can't vent the pressure off so it forces gear lube out the seals. I've been running both axles overfilled for 14 years and no issues. 

1 hour ago, leathermaneod said:

Are there any bearings or bushings supporting that axle shaft that shaft that could be worn out and allowing too much play and wearing out the seal prematurely?

Carrier bearings hold the axles up in the pumpkin. The only thing I could suggest is to open it up and check the bearings for play. 

Not trying to argue by any means, and I appreciate your advice, but are you sure the overfilling thing is a myth? I figured it was too, but I checked and The fsm does mention that fluid loss can be caused by overfilling....

I just don't want to go on the hunt for a problem that isn't even there....

I am going to check and make sure the vent is not plugged As well.

Edited by leathermaneod

• Owner

265k miles with 2-3 extra pumps of gear lube in front and rear axles for 14 years. To check my fluid I don't even have open completely just tip the plug a bit and gear lube runs out. No failures or leaks happening here all I can say its a myth. Open differentials running petroleum gear oil 85w-90 for 265k miles overfilled. Again the only way it can leak is if the vents plug up with mud then the pressure will build and push gear lube out. 

No quart bottles or gallon jugs most all my lubes are in 5 gallon buckets.

DSCF3793.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
2 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

Not trying to argue by any means, and I appreciate your advice, but are you sure the overfilling thing is a myth? I figured it was too, 

I've been over filling Dana 1030 and 1031 for over 45 years and I haven't seen one leak because of it.

I know not the same as a Dana 60, 70 or 80 but just saying.  

Thanks for the info. I know it's definitely possible because my rear axle is and has been overfull as well. I'm just not totally convinced that it will be possible to stop it from leaking while it's overful since that seems to be what quite a few folks have found to be the case and it's what the fsm says. Plus before I topped mine off it wasn't as wet as it is now. Like I said, not trying to debate or anything by any means, just want to get to the bottom of this before I go back to the guys that did it again and complain about their work....

Well sounds like if it wasn't as wet as before, and before it wasn't overfilled, then maybe your vent is clogged. That sounds like the only difference to me. This is interesting though as I'm about to change out my fluid soon. Do you have the LSD rear diff?

15 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

i have a 5' length of allthread that i will use to replace my seals when i get settled in NC.

Careful with this . Usually it takes some impact to not bend the seal :thumbup2: 

On 7/22/2016 at 8:57 AM, TFaoro said:

Careful with this . Usually it takes some impact to not bend the seal :thumbup2: 

i have washers with larger diameter than the seals, but yes gotta do it slow and ensure the seal is seated level. the allthread also has the plastic protection sleeve on it so the threads wont mar anything. (used to work in a mobile telephone switch and got it as scrap from the ladder racks)

7 minutes ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

i have washers with larger diameter than the seals, but yes gotta do it slow and ensure the seal is seated level. the allthread also has the plastic protection sleeve on it so the threads wont mar anything. (used to work in a mobile telephone switch and got it as scrap from the ladder racks)

Hopefully it works out for ya!

I ended up using a piece of allthread and making a slide hammer on it. Many ways to skin a potato :thumbup2: