• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline V2 Testing

TFaoro

I dunno where "canbus" came from when talking about tuners that connect to the data link.  The oh so common " canbus tuners limits to 65 hp" has been thrown around since before I owned a 2nd gen.  

So yes it is just "SAE j1939"  The name canbus doesn't appear to come about until later, but it appears to just be a nomencalture difference.  j1939 uses CAN 2.0b for physical and data link layer.  

Regardless not really that important.  Is it canbus? kinda yes and kinda no, it techinally uses canbus.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

• Staff
3 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

If you call good stuff crazy high timing that I would never have expected :lmao: 

What are you running now?

We have to remember VP timing and HPCR timing are not the same thing, especially at low fuel flow rates. 

Edited by AH64ID

4 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

What are you running now?

We have to remember VP timing and HPCR timing are not the same thing, especially at low fuel flow rates. 

On the highway cruising is right about 20. Drops to 19.5 on the hills and up to 20.5 on downhills. Peak timing is near 26.

Yes, they are completely different animals when trying to tune. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Yeah that's a lot of timing!

Seems to like it though. Fuel mileage is up where it should be, and it performed well on the dyno making just over 500 on can-bus only and 610 with the wiretap. 

Went up hunting this weekend.  Drove from Colorado Springs to Westcliffe Co, mostly 55 mph when on highway.  Climbed a pretty steep pass for ~15 miles of the 76 miles each way.  Peak Elevation was ~9,000 feet.  Lots of idle time and slow mountain driving on dirt roads. 

~ 150 miles at 55 mph

~ 45 miles in the mountains 15 - 35 mph

Filled up 10.3 gallons 

trip was 191.3 = 18.5 MPG  

Pretty happy with that considering everything.  I should be pretty easily above 25 MPG on flat highway now.  

• Like 1

You know it's funny because I've had a few people ask me about it and how it compares to the edge since I ran if forever and honestly there's no comparison.  They're simply on completely separate levels and can be used for completely different purposes.  Not that there's anything big with the power, but the fact that we have more control and knowledge of what's going on with the truck really just sets this in a league of its own. 

Great stuff to say the least.

I know the old compant from the quad was " more power, but it isn't as smooth"  is that still true?  I know my quad used to be kinda on / off in situtations, I don't have that issue anymore, but I am unsure how smooth the edge is.

So to fire back on a couple of things you touched on to my last post over on CF.

Yes I was on level 5 on the quad so max can/pump.  We would need to discuss the timing up top, I have a few thoughts on this subject.

Edge vs Quad and how smooth they are,  Edge on level 6 was a bit jumpy when you stabbed the throttle and hands down the quad fuels much much smoother.  Seat of the pants, off the line, I think the edge still has a little bit over the quad but I'm still working on that and have no doubt in my mind that we'll be able to tune that "feeling" back into the truck given a little bit of time and patience.  

I just found that we can read PSI from the plug under the hood.

giphy.gif

so I can use ecm boost, which will account for atmosperic pressure.....then once psi hits ~20 I will jump back over to the old map to allow for higher than 20 readings, you can't understand how happy I am about this.

11 minutes ago, Carbur8tr said:

So to fire back on a couple of things you touched on to my last post over on CF.

Yes I was on level 5 on the quad so max can/pump.  We would need to discuss the timing up top, I have a few thoughts on this subject.

Edge vs Quad and how smooth they are,  Edge on level 6 was a bit jumpy when you stabbed the throttle and hands down the quad fuels much much smoother.  Seat of the pants, off the line, I think the edge still has a little bit over the quad but I'm still working on that and have no doubt in my mind that we'll be able to tune that "feeling" back into the truck given a little bit of time and patience.  

I am all ears about timing up top.  like I said I am willing to try whatever, but I need to understand the theory.

As for seat of the pants feel, I think if you ran an aggressive offidle tune you could do a seat of the pants tune.  Starting at ~103 or so and ramping up quick would shove a ton of fuel down low.  I don't suggest that type of tune in public, but the good thing about this tuning is you can if you want to.    Sadly seat of the pants torque = smoke offidle.  I am happy with my tune at this point, but I am sure an edge will make more under the curve power for the first 5 ish psi.

I am happy to hear the fueling is smooth compared to the Edge.    

Edited by Me78569

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I bet the Quadzilla is a cleaner module over the Edge. 

Without a doubt in my mind.

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I just found that we can read PSI from the plug under the hood.

giphy.gif

so I can use ecm boost, which will account for atmosperic pressure.....then once psi hits ~20 I will jump back over to the old map to allow for higher than 20 readings, you can't understand how happy I am about this.

I am all ears about timing up top.  like I said I am willing to try whatever, but I need to understand the theory.

As for seat of the pants feel, I think if you ran an aggressive offidle tune you could do a seat of the pants tune.  Starting at ~103 or so and ramping up quick would shove a ton of fuel down low.  I don't suggest that type of tune in public, but the good thing about this tuning is you can if you want to.    

I am happy to hear the fueling is smooth compared to the Edge.    

Man this is exciting news!  Let me know when you get something drawn up and want to give it a go.  This is going to be awesome.

And I had that thought as well but am trying to stay as smoke free as possible.  I think pulling the timing down a little in the lower PSI will help with that as well so that's my next thing to test.

0-10 psi is where the timing reduction comes into play.   most at 0 psi least at 10 psi most at 100% TPS least at %40 tps.

There is no user setting to set this map, only how much timing you want to pull max.  If you want to force more timing reduction at lower areas in the map you can use the scaling function.   Really 2.5* of reduction is enough to hit the low of 8* so using 5* with %50 scaling will force that timing lower down. 

however as a side note I would suggest you just use more tps input haha

as another side note here, 

If you have your pump tps max set to anyhting below 100%, when you more your throttle to that point and if boost is below 10psi, your boost map will be based on 10psi.  IE the quad pretty much makes psi = 10 if you go above your TPS Pump max tuning variable.