• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Log splitter

hex0rz

Hand splitting gets old. Don't have much in the budget for a new hydraulic splitter. So I've been eyeing a small kinetic splitter. Ima bit loyal to DR so i was thinking about getting their model. For a small kinetic and electric splitter it looks impressive. 

What's everyone think about the kinetic splitters?

I'm only splitting for myself also and its mainly birch sometimes some pine. 

Edited by hex0rz

• Staff

It's got bad reviews for little power. Not able to split thru green logs or hardwoods. Not enough power and having one flywheel instead of two like most kinetic splitters makes it limited. Owner that bought one said go hydraulic. Only one person reported great machine and gave it higher marks but the majority said not so good.

I have been hiring some young guys to split mine but it's hard to find guys that split wood like I used to when younger. I had overwhelming ambition.

Edited by JAG1

I burn wood all winter.  Bought a splitter around 10 years ago from Tractor Supply.  The biggest one they had.  I think its 28 ton and it will shove though most anything I can get under the wedge.  Wouldn't want anything smaller either as I've had to split some really ugly wood that doesn't "split" but rather tears apart or simply explodes in two halves.

Having a log splitter is like having a car trailer, once folks find out you have one they all come to borrow. Mine is usually only at my house about half the year. Neighbors who heat their shops use it more than me for my 3-4 cord a year needs mostly for my mother in law. Mine is a 20 something ton Husky from TSC too it was a model that was weathered and faded pretty bad that sat outside the store for a couple years, I talked the manager into selling it for cheap as it looked like hell for a new unit, he called his district manager and I got it for almost half of what it was listed at.

Edited by Wild and Free

chop.gif

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/

A web site I visit on occasions, a lot of good infro on their. I know that the kinetic splitters have been improving a lot and going with a company like DR. you might get a quality one, but the electric or hydraulic ones in the 6-10 ton range are no more than bench top or inside shop splitting, and don't think they would keep up with the heavier stuff if your relying on heating your entire house with wood.

I personally use a 3 point log splitter mounted to a 25 horse kubota, I built my self and got less than 500 in it. It serves me well with about 6 -10 cords a year, but probably wouldn't keep up with the high production splitting.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I like the part where you have to lift logs on to the splitter.  My splitter has a ram which pivots and stands on end.  I simply roll the rounds over to it and set them under the wedge.  I'm generally muscling large rounds too so having to lift them up on the ram would be kind of a pain.

the wood they use on the demonstrations is always knot free and probably well seasoned, so easy splitting, What about continuous duty and knotty wood, If the logs get hung up in the wedge you would probably have to beat it out with a sledge, just extra work.but other than that it would probably work fine for the light duty stuff

• 2 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:18 AM, KATOOM said:

I burn wood all winter.  Bought a splitter around 10 years ago from Tractor Supply.  The biggest one they had.  I think its 28 ton and it will shove though most anything I can get under the wedge.  Wouldn't want anything smaller either as I've had to split some really ugly wood that doesn't "split" but rather tears apart or simply explodes in two halves.

Upgraded the 'ol log splitter today (11/17) with one from Tractor Supply. The old one was a little light duty personal use machine, I borrowed from my son. I installed a new pump, control valve, filter kit and flushed/cleaned out the tank. Then ran it a few days and changed out the hydraulic oil/filter again, then took it back while it was all freshend up. Figured I should buy my own before I wore out his again, plus I was getting afraid of the Chinese motor, lol.

Mine is a 25 ton with a 11 second cycle time. It will work me hard to keep up. I don't burn wood but I sell it. Lots of work but it keeps me healthy. 

0816170744.jpg

1112171556.jpg

0930180737.jpg

0127191358a.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dave110 said:

I hope the one with the open toe sandals is just a looker and not a helper. I like your trailer. :thumb1:

The flip flop person has to learn the hard way, Lol  It is a good heavy duty trailer but I would not buy a low pro again. It is nice for loading equipment but the bed gets to close to the ground when you dump. It is a 7'x16'x3' Lamar with 7 gauge floor and 8k axles.

I have a Pequea C2500 6.5'x12'. It's perfect for me and my fire wood operation. My '58 Ferguson or 1835B skiddy fit in nicely. It's 9999 GVWR which is also good for me because in PA anything over 10k is considered CDL and subject to a whole other array of California like regulations.

100_3441.JPG.3e5135f90e62bc17cb24c2feaa98faf8.JPG100_3442.JPG.2e032ca7eabcab7cc2e53221d3d521e2.JPG

• Like 1

I'm currently looking at a Patriot 7x14 dual ram 14k or a Big Tex 7x14 scissor lift ram 14k.  They have their differences but its amazing how many differences are out there in the dump trailer world...  Trying to figure all that out before I make a purchase too.

18 hours ago, KATOOM said:

I'm currently looking at a Patriot 7x14 dual ram 14k or a Big Tex 7x14 scissor lift ram 14k.  They have their differences but its amazing how many differences are out there in the dump trailer world...  Trying to figure all that out before I make a purchase too.

Yes, there are pros and cons to all of them, look at all the little things when you research. I think PJ has a really good spec table to compare trailers. I prefer the scissors lift, at least 10 gauge floor and sides, 3 way gate, ramps and tarp kit. I also want the fenders to be attached to the bed. The gap between the frame mount fenders and the bed is a catch all. Pay attention to the side wall supports, some are light weight, also the top rail/stake pockets. Here is a picture of my Big Tex (sold), Lamar and Load Trail.

0627181635_Burst01.jpg

0912180957.jpg

0906170959.jpg

• Like 3