• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck coolant leak need repair shop Attleborough Ma vicinity

2001.5 Dodge 2500.  It's parked in stepdaughter's yard in Attleborough, Ma near Pawtucket, RI. I have a couple of days.  It's leaking coolant at front of engine.  It's pretty wet but the center of the wet is the water pump.  I don't know who to take it to that I can trust.  With my MS, I can not do my own work.     

Cant help with a shop, but does you stepdaughter no someone who can turn a wrench. It is very easy to replace the water pump. It is as easy a water pump to change as any I have ever owned. A little adult supervision and a willing soul will get r done.

• Like 2

• Staff

I put in new ones. They are the same or similar to the 12 valve engines. I've done two on my 1 st gen and then one one the 24 valve, but the 24 valve had the problem of the belt making noises  I thought was the water pump.

I think the toughest part of the change out is getting the right size ratchet wrench to release tension on the belt. I had to add a length of pipe to the ratchet so I had enough leverage to get the belt to release. I can't remember if it was a 1/2'' drive or 3/8ths drive that fits on the front of the tensioner.

I think O Reillys' had new  and rebuilt water pumps for the Cummins.

Edited by JAG1

Pretty sure it is 3/8 on the tensioner and a cheater bar about 2' long works fine. The space is a little narrow to get the wrench on. I put the wrench on then slid the cheater over it. The bolts holding the pump were easy to get to as I remember. Got a pump from AA or AZ  or some where similar. Pretty much had to take what I could get at the time. That was 3 or 4 years ago and it still works fine.

OK, so once the serpentine belt is off, might as well have a new belt put on...  the labor is the same. 

I doubt there'd be a problem getting a water pump but Cummins NorthEast is in Dedham, Ma as I recall.  Too far to drive losing coolant but a parts source if worst comes to worst.  ~30 miles up Interstate 95...  I don't travel well, but if the incentive is enough, within range. 

What sort of time should a general auto shop spend on a water pump change on a high 4X4 (stock, non-lifted but it's high)?   I'm assuming it will take longer than a flat rate where one only needs to ean over a fender. 

Thanks guys.

They would probably charge an hour of labor.

Drain coolant

Remove belt (3/8 rachet)

Remove water pump (Two 10mm bolts)

Then put it all back.

Might have them do a thermostat at the same time. It's only three 8mm bolts.

Wife took it in a shop there just now.  They are trying to source the pump.  I did not think that would be a problem.  The shop doesn't want to use a pump from AutoZone...  dealer wanted 275 for a re-man & a week to get it.  I suggested they check with Cummins NorthEast in Dedham, Ma.  A new Cummins pump is being overnighted.  Problem solved. 

Edited by flagmanruss
update

I don't know why the mechanic doesn't want to use the AutoZone water pump.  I can only guess he desn't trust it.  

The new pump from Cummins (not reman from Dodge) is supposed to be $100 less than the $275 dealer...  so I'm expecting $175. 

I'm also getting a flush, new coolant, thermostat & belt.     

The damages:

Cummins water pump 1 year/100,000 mile guarentee $195

Serpentine belt $65

Thermostat $69

Antifreeze 3.5G $69

Labor $145

Disposal $4.45

Total With Tax $557

Ouch!  It sorks paying retail. 

Picked the truck up...  had to drive through heavy traffic both ways...  An hour round trip took 2 hours. 

• Owner
16 hours ago, flagmanruss said:

Cummins water pump 1 year/100,000 mile guarentee $195

Sorry, I don't see a water pump worth $195 and only gives 1 year warranty. I'm not a huge fan of Cummins parts being most of the time Cummins parts are way over priced and fail just the same as part store part.

• Like 1