• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anti-Theft ideas

Given that we've now had two forum members recently get their rigs stolen (:mad::mad::mad:) I figured I'd start a thread on any and all ideas for anti-theft devices, switches, alarms, gps things so maybe we can compile our ideas to keep our trucks safer from these damn thieves!

What do ya got?!

• Like 1

I want to rig something up using a power seat switch. I have manual seats, but I'd like to throw in a trim piece with power switch and wire it so that the buttons have to be triggered a certain way while turning the key. I just need some help with where to tie in to prevent starting. I'm also contemplating using the heated mirror button as mine don't work. Then I also like mikes idea of wiring the horn to blow when key is turned without the secret switch being pressed. Unfortunately I'm a novice with auto wiring though so I'll be needing some help with where to in and how to keep things clean ect. Hopefully would be thieves aren't on this forum lol

Edited by leathermaneod

Yea same here, wiring is not my strong suit! I like the idea of using something pre-existing in the trim as to make it even more hidden. If I remember from previous posts about things somewhat related to this, wiring up a lift pump or injection pump kill switch doesn't guarantee the truck not starting, so sounds like we'll need to get creative with how to keep the truck from starting 100%.

• Like 1

I have studied the book and and two wire run from under the distribution center into the cab hidden out of sight and under the carpet coming out by the back of the drivers inside seat frame and mount switch this will then be wired to cut the 12v constant to the starter relay fuse as needed.  I haven't got far enough in but a similar switch will be wired up to the injection pump.

I will start something else for this write up and will begin on Saturday or Sunday.

Just food for thought. We throw all these good ideas of anti theft out there and anybody will be able to see them right here or any forum with an open discussion about them. I think if I came up with an idea I would keep it to myself. Nothing personal ya'll.

• Like 2

Looking at the schematics in the FSM, pin 87 at the Fuel Pump Relay in the PDC is the signal that tells the IP to run.  Following this wire, it leaves the PDC and there is a connection at the back of the engine, C125.  Pin 7 in this connector is this signal.  It is a Red and Greed wire.  It would be just a matter of interrupting that wire with a switch that you could put anywhere.  I assume that if you did this and didn't have the switch in the "run" position and tried to start the truck it would throw a code as the ECM is unable to communicate with the IP, but maybe not.

Here are some pictures.  The pages in the FSM that I followed were 8W-10-5, 8W-10-12, 8W-80-8, 8W-80-9, and 8W-90-8

IP Shut Off1.jpg

IP Shut Off2.jpg

IP Shut Off3.jpg

Edited by Hawkez
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, dripley said:

Just food for thought. We throw all these good ideas of anti theft out there and anybody will be able to see them right here or any forum with an open discussion about them. I think if I came up with an idea I would keep it to myself. Nothing personal ya'll.

I've been thinking the exact same thing lol. However, I would image that if any or many of us do this, we will all put our own little spin on it and not post a detailed description of the exact details or location of the switch. Hopefully that will be enough to buy us some time to stop/confuse/frustrate a thief, maybe even get the attention of others if the horn is rigged to blow as mike said previously. In the end, if someone really wants your truck, they will get it. Even if they have to show up with a trailer and winch. 

• Like 1

The idea of the switch is to work with an alarm those together will render the thief dazed and confused and will leave before the owner finds him and has his way with the robber..... 

And if you want hide this bad boy in there it's 100 per year and it lowered my premium on my tools once it was added to my box

https://www.rei.com/product/869419/spot-trace-gps-tracker?CAWELAID=120217890000792952&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15877485520&CATCI=aud-54816614184:pla-163136378200&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_11133|8694190001|2c50126c-a983-48b4-bd12-f714afcad99a|aud-54816614184:pla-163136378200&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_11133|8694190001|2c50126c-a983-48b4-bd12-f714afcad99a|aud-54816614184:pla-163136378200&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgJq-BRCFqcLW8_DU9agBEiQAz8Koh7SScF1Dm5_n04Lckn3N5vfd3x6F8wtWr_cz7BregR0aAhBS8P8HAQ

• Staff

put a note that can be only seen once they get inside the cab that says, Tow Truck Driver, have me paged inside such and such a store to come up  to the front counter to give you the truck key. LO,L then call 911 and nab the guy.

Problem is I'm not a big husky guy.

Seriously tho I think some good discussion here

Edited by JAG1

2 hours ago, dripley said:

Definitely thought the same, but as @leathermaneod pointed out, we probably shouldn't discuss minute details to our exact rigs, just generalities and go from there!

I think we also need to figure out how you would "Hotwire" one of our trucks. That we we can make sure our security system prevents that specific scenario. After all the thief is probably not gona jump in with a key.....I have no clue how you would do that though....maybe a discussion for the closed forum I guess....of course when Tyler gets his truck back he can tell us how they did it :-)

• Like 2

Keys flats are the most common pics are very hard to use on modern cars and trucks I have a master pick set and even getting a door newer than year 2000 with that set is next to impossible....  

Based on Tfaoro statement about the windows I'd guess smash and grab meaning the lower dash and wiring will be ripped apart or the tumbler will be busted up...

I'm a coach dealer chassis technician who has had to break into class As  without causing damage (patience is a must)and also estimate theft damages inside all I can say is most still stealing cars/motorized anything are uneducated, unprofessional and most of all sloppy...

I'm really hoping he finds his truck because these clowns sounded as sloppy as you can get.  Unless I miss read who breaks two windows to get inside.....

• 8 months later...