• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another ECM Toasted? 0606 death code

• Staff
8 hours ago, Cumminsince1983 said:

Just for shits and giggles we should find what is "typically" going bad with the ecm itself.  Its probably a $2 part and some good soldering skills. 

A clue that you are probably correct is the fact that they freely give a  lifetime  warranty.

• Owner

Mixed bag.

Like I know the WAIT TO START lag is bad memory. Lift pump on coming on is a MOSFET failed. Sensors with all hi or lo volts could be a ground or 5V supply (regulator) issue. The big problem is after opening the case can you fold it back up tight and get it sealed up without water getting in the case? 

• Staff

What about a larger separate water tight case like those cases for fishing gear or radios? Just thinking out loud.

Wanted to ask.... is there any device can be placed on our rigs to protect against sudden alt failures and ac voltage spikes?

Or at least a gauge on the dash?

• Staff

Good one CSM, .aircraft need the good stuff too. Thank you for looking around for that and wood be nice on the truck but, 349 bucks?. I'm still stuck in the 90's pricing for stuff.

Mopar Man should come up with something. He is electrical engineer and sell it on this forum. Mike did you hear that?

• Like 1

On 10/1/2016 at 10:56 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

looking for good quality diodes like what Nations Alternators sells. Hoping to find high quality replacements.

Maybe nations would sell something compatible?... Maybe they could cut us poor dodge guys a break here at the moparman site. 

Notice this site http://www.aspwholesale.com/ has parts for my old bosh unit, but i'm reluctant to rebuild it.

This looks like a nice alternator.  http://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/180-Amp-HP-High-Output-Alternator-for-2000-Dodge-p/13874-180-hp.htm?CartID=1

• 3 weeks later...

ok..so a problem with the new ecm after about 500 miles.  The cruise control does not work. It worked on my old ecm.   I think the one they sent is from a 99. I dont get anything, no instrument cruise "on light" , notta nutthin. 

On a 2002 5 speed mt the cruise is all controlled from the ecm?

I might just go without it since truck is running good otherwise. knock on wood. 

maybe a communication problem between pcm and ecm? possibly pcm and ecm on different software series.... could they have programmed new ecm wrong?

Also read on other posts that a smarty programmer could fix this with "recovery software".  Was thinking about getting a smarty.  thanks

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Cruise control isn't a ECM function. Cruise control is controlled by the PCM.

The ECM has to have something to do with it. I had the same issue with my first ECM rebuild except my light stayed on all the time but the cruise did not work. This was actually the second from the same co. The first on did not work at all a generated a 606 code where the oe did not. When I replace the second with the Cummins reman the cruise worked. Never touched the PCM. It is still the oe,

5 hours ago, Cumminsince1983 said:

maybe a communication problem between pcm and ecm? possibly pcm and ecm on different software series.... could they have programmed new ecm wrong?

Also read on other posts that a smarty programmer could fix this with "recovery software".  Was thinking about getting a smarty.  thanks

I would be suspect of the rebuild. While everything but the cruise worked on mine it only lasted a year before leaving me stranded on the highway when it died. Just my personal opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2016 at 4:16 AM, dripley said:

The ECM has to have something to do with it

Yes it does.  I can confirm this.

I had ACR send another ecm out to fix the cruise control issue.  

The cruise control worked on this one but after about 2 blocks down the road the ecm went into limp mode and the truck died.   It would not restart after that. So dam the luck.

Pulled that one out and reinstalled the first one they sent.  Truck started and running fine.  But,  still no cruise.  The cruise light does not even come on.  They seem like a decent company so this is kinda upsetting to me. Now i'm not having much faith in the first one they sent.

The question is.....whats the dodge/ram dealers source for rebuilt ecm's.  Does cummins rebuild them directly and only sell them to specific dealers?

I have no idea who rebuilds them but there seems to be several that sell them but dont know what they are doing. Mine came from Cummins but who did the work, I dont know. Found this on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Cummins-2500-3500-Remanufactured-ECM-3947912-/281664808615?fits=Year%3A2002|Make%3ADodge|Model%3ARam+2500&hash=item419487e6a7:g:snQAAOSwg3FUj1wh&vxp=mtr

and then on there website http://goecmdiesel.com/product19__cummins_isx_isb-ecm_isb.html. I have no experience with them. There is a member here that bought one and it did not solve his problem. He returned it. here is the thread