• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

rv converter for the batteries.

my converter overheats. i've added a fan to cool it but still over heats when my batteries get to low. SO. could i swap in a good PC power supply?

any idea how to wire it...

i have one that is capable of 30 amps on a 12V rail and 25A from another...  so the sticker says.

ideas? or just spend the 120$ on a new converter.

• Owner

You might want to look at a 60 Amp Inteli-power 9200. Way better than just a PC power supply. Not to mention it has different modes of operation to condition the battery and prevent sulphation while in storage.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/cfp/electrical-12v/converters-progressive-dynamics/55-9009.htm

• Like 1

• Owner

Computer power supply is not going to charge at different levels of voltage for different times. Like boost or desulphation mode is 14.3 volts for a period of time, the normal mode is 13.6 volts, then storage is 13.2 volts with a desulphation run every 24 hours. So a PC power supply will provide a perfect 12.0 volts and nothing more. 

http://www.progressivedyn.com/charge_wizard.html

How the intelipower changes voltages for the needs of the batteries.

charge_wiz_profile.gif

Charging rates...

charge_wiz_curve.gif

• Staff

Me            IBMobile

:poke:

It's easy to wire in a new one. Just take note on how the old one gets disconnected.

You can tell if yours is a bad charger because you can hear the batteries boiling away after many hours of charging. Just put ears close to batteries and if they sound like they are boiling get rid of it ASAP.

51 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Your wife should have told you.    animated-smileys-laughing-041[1].gif

Yes she does that regularly. Thousands of comedians out of work....... ! I guess for you guys I need to be more specific and careful of my wording. What I was referring to,was the original  converter in my camper. Does it not perform the same functions?

4 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

Yes she does that regularly. Thousands of comedians out of work....... ! I guess for you guys I need to be more specific and careful of my wording. What I was referring to,was the original  converter in my camper. Does it not perform the same functions?

It gets a little dangerous around here on occasions. I have been speared a few times. Just part of the fun. 

On the converter, my oe did not. Charged the battery pretty hard. Always had to keep a close on the battery. The Charge Wizard in the Intellipower has taken good care of the battery. I have not had to add in water in quite while. You could look up the one you have now and see what it is capable of. 

On 9/3/2016 at 6:01 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

You might want to look at a 60 Amp Inteli-power 9200. Way better than just a PC power supply. Not to mention it has different modes of operation to condition the battery and prevent sulphation while in storage.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/cfp/electrical-12v/converters-progressive-dynamics/55-9009.htm

On 9/3/2016 at 8:54 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Get this converter, and get the Charge Wizard too.  Awesome unit and will keep your batteries happy for a long long time.  You can find them for a pretty good deal, like in the link posted. :thumbup2:

• Like 1