• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Airdog 150 issue

I went to start my truck the other week and when I cycled the key my pump sounded weird like it was growling or pumping slow and it would kick off almost immediately even when I cycled the key for it to pump 20 seconds it would kick off. I called airdog and after a little bit of troubleshooting  he figured my pump was going out so I bought a new and improved "4G pump". But the day I went to replace it the fuel pressure started to rise and eventually it sounded normal again and didn't have any other issues with it. So I changed out the pump and figured all was well. """I just changed the filters a couple months ago and have probably 300 miles on the new filters so we figured that wasn't the issue"""   Tonight I go to get something from the store and it's doing it again and only carrying about 12-13 psi at idle and drops to around 9 if I get into it. It sounds like crap and keeps kicking off when I try to cycle the key. 

I think you ought to check and see if you have proper voltage going to the pump while this is happening and see if you are getting the full voltage to the pump. Seems odd a new pump would act the same as the old pump but the old pump started to work right before the change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Me78569 said:

when you installed the new pump what idle pressure did you see?

I was getting about 16-17 psi after install. Not sure where my pump gets it's power but it could be not supplying me full power

8 hours ago, dripley said:

I think you ought to check and see if you have proper voltage going to the pump while this is happening and see if you are getting the full voltage to the pump. Seems odd a new pump would act the same as the old pump but the old pump started to work right before the change.

Does my pump run off the ECM? I was wondering that last night because for the last 2 years occasionally my ecm would hesitate to kick on my pump at times for a few seconds

The AD should have come with a wiring harness with a relay. The harness should also have a connection for the oe pump connector to plug into it. This allows the load to be taken off the ECM and just uses the oe for a trigger to close the relay. The power source for the pump should be off of the battery, PDC, or similar ower source.But if the ECM is acting up it will interfere with that function since the relay is using the ECM for a trigger. here is my AD relay and fuse set up.

Is your WTS light delayed when the pump is delayed?

DSCN0518.JPG

11 minutes ago, dripley said:

The AD should have come with a wiring harness with a relay. The harness should also have a connection for the oe pump connector to plug into it. This allows the load to be taken off the ECM and just uses the oe for a trigger to close the relay. The power source for the pump should be off of the battery, PDC, or similar ower source.But if the ECM is acting up it will interfere with that function since the relay is using the ECM for a trigger. here is my AD relay and fuse set up.

Is your WTS light delayed when the pump is delayed?

DSCN0518.JPG

I can't remember this morning, but I'm pretty sure it does. When it warms up a tad I'm going to go out and check grounds and my positive connections

I'm starting to think that my fuel might have gelled a bit on me. It was 32 degrees this morning and since it has warmed up it's working fine and the last time I fueled up was a month ago so I'm pretty sure I didn't get winter blend diesel yet. The last time it did this to me it was pretty darn cold as well. but my relay for the Airdog also looks like it has gotten hot and started to disfigure the inside of it a bit so I'm going to order a new relay for it plus clean my battery connections just in case

3 minutes ago, dripley said:

Check your batteries too. Weak batteries will make these truck do weird things also.

Brand new this summer replaced them both 

Anyone know the part number for a new Airdog Relay? Mine looks like it has melted some on the inside. I called Airdog to order one and they have a 20.00 minimum. So now I need to find a replacement

A/C noise in the system?

Cleaned all grounds and cable connections?

Filters on tight enough?

All connections tight to the Airdog and VP?

Whens the last time the spring and ball was checked?

These are just things that come to mind to check for this kind of situation. It's hard to think that a relay would go bad as they're quite robust, but if yours in melted a bit then obviously, that could be the issues. You could always check the voltage you're receiving and see if it falls within standards.

On 10/14/2016 at 10:26 AM, Millfire517 said:

Brand new this summer replaced them both 

Anyone know the part number for a new Airdog Relay? Mine looks like it has melted some on the inside. I called Airdog to order one and they have a 20.00 minimum. So now I need to find a replacement

E-bay  ------ 12 volt relay. 80 amp relay with socket $5.00 shipping paid  from new jersy

On 10/14/2016 at 2:36 PM, notlimah said:

A/C noise in the system?

Cleaned all grounds and cable connections?

Filters on tight enough?

All connections tight to the Airdog and VP?

Whens the last time the spring and ball was checked?

These are just things that come to mind to check for this kind of situation. It's hard to think that a relay would go bad as they're quite robust, but if yours in melted a bit then obviously, that could be the issues. You could always check the voltage you're receiving and see if it falls within standards.

Just finally got around to clean my grounds and power wire. Both were in good shape since they were wired direct to the battery, I tried to check my spring and ball but when I turn the connection the whole thing started to turn and twist my hose. Don't want to break anything since I'm short on an inside place to work on it plus tools at the moment. Might run it to a reputable guy that mainly just works on these trucks.

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I don't suggest wiring the pump the battery. Best to wire to the PDC box and get your own body ground connection.

At this point I'm just going to hope it lasts till around tax time, going to send it to the shop to get my fuel gauge fixed, new injectors and probably just have them go through my fuel system and have them rewire it. I really really love this truck but some days I just want to sell it.