• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installed a Nations alternator - results

1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

Interesting...  I would like to know more about your situation.  Like did you notice the AC noise right after installation?  Did you contact Nations immediately?  You have a 30 day return and a minimum 1 year warranty unless you opted for an additional warranty which is plenty of time to address your situation if it played out as you described.  I'm not saying I dont believe what you're saying but I'm having a hard time believing that Nations completely ignored your request and is leaving you high and dry as if nothing happened.

In saying that, if the AC truly is creeping up then why are you continuing to run that alternator?  It would be in your best interest to stop driving the truck until this is resolved, if possible.

I haven't made the W-T ground mod yet, it's in the works though.

As far as how this played out: I tested the AC noise immediately upon installation of the new alternator. The readings were fluctuating between .036-.042. That was in February, and I did immediately contact Nations. The AC reading in September had crept to .037-.047. The OE Bosch alternator was reading a steady .035 when I removed it.

I suppose I should just swap the Bosch back in and try again with Nations.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m in.  

I noticed zero difference in battery drain from start up. Meaning my experience wasn’t same as @KATOOM ‘s. Trucks been in heated shop for 2 weeks. 

ill keep you posted. 

E14E08CA-8B74-489C-A8A3-C488CCDDC99B.jpeg

77633D1E-5732-43A9-824B-5D9419B06A76.jpeg

Edited by Ben

2 hours ago, Ben said:

I’m in.  

I noticed zero difference in battery drain from start up. Meaning my experience wasn’t same as @KATOOM ‘s. Trucks been in heated shop for 2 weeks. 

ill keep you posted. 

E14E08CA-8B74-489C-A8A3-C488CCDDC99B.jpeg

77633D1E-5732-43A9-824B-5D9419B06A76.jpeg

Is black cable with ( white) line a ground connection for the alternator? If so, where is it terminated? Looks good!! 

Michael

I just tested my alternator the other day and connected to the alternator directly (not the batteries), at idle AC voltage was .024

With all electronic accessories turned on and engine ramped up to 2000 rpm, it climbed to .050

I'm happy with that...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michaelsloft said:

Is black cable with ( white) line a ground connection for the alternator? If so, where is it terminated? Looks good!! 

Michael

The cable is actually black with a tan tracer and comes from the splice on the drivers side of the motor. The is the ECM ground plus about 4 others. WT's ground mod is the way to go. It shortens all the major grounds and will help with AC voltage. Easy to do and very much worthwhile. My AC voltage dropped from 0.035 to 0.01. Simple to do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

DSCF4427.JPG

Now you bolt the grounds to the gear case next to the VP44. No longer does it run paralell with the alternator charge lead to the PDC. Which you can see in the lower picture the charge lead is bound to the ground lead and the AC noise jumps right into the ground running in the ground side of all the computers (ECM, PCM and VP44).

DSCF4415.JPG

• Like 2