• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installed a Nations alternator - results

I will be following this since I am the owner of my third lifetime warranty alternator. Bought the first one about 7 or 8 years ago. I do test for ac voltage but no where near as often as I should. I have been eyeing the Nations from reviews here. Tis is just another plus for them.

I am curious why you went with the oem pulley versus the smaller one? Not critiquing your choice just curious. 

So I had a chance to drive it tonight.....  The lights did dim when the grids cycled but nothing like before.  Matter of fact, the volt gauge dipped initially upon start up when the grids cycled, but then remained again up towards 14 volts again.  All in all I'm happy. 

And dripley, Nations uses the OEM size pulley on this alternator whereas other aftermarket high dollar units will use a smaller pulley on theirs in order to spin it faster.  The problem with that is you then have to get a shorter belt to fit the serpentine system.  Not what I wanted to do.

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 2

• Staff

Good to not have the smaller pulley since a faster spin will generate heat and reduce its efficiency. Very good report Katoom.

Make sure you hooked it up right Bud... we don't want to have to start calling you Kaboom .

Just kidding

BTW, guys in Redding, I noticed ,keep their tucks like they just came off the showroom... where's a pic of your truck?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Next time my NAPA alternator dies I'm heading this direction. Nice mild boost of power, no modifications to the electrical, direct bolt in and wire up alternator. Bit more money but a very nice upgrade. 

KATOOM would you be willing to create a write up of this for the site?

Maybe I'm not fully understanding what you're referring to, but I'm happy to do whatever you need. :thumbup2:

44 minutes ago, dripley said:

I noticed on their description that it has an internal voltage regulator. How does that interact with the PCM voltage regulator? A question from the electrically challenged.

As I mentioned before, I cant defend their website as its chalked full of errors. :doh:

• Owner

Just like Nick said just go over to the 2nd Gen area and create a article with all the information you provided here which you can more or less copy right over to the article page. Just makes it much easier for other to spot the alternator article. Not to mention I'll be more prone to using the link from the article data on other sites as needed. 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Jolsen said:

I'm having real bad TC lock up issues out of left field. This one says 01-02 did the plugs change or will it work on my 99?

You'd have to call them because their website is seriously lacking accuracy.....  But I'm sure they offer one for your year.

yeah my paycheck should be hitting the account tonight. I have an ebay special alternator atm and I pulled the fuse issue solved. It is violently locking and unlocking to the point that I have been driving around in 2nd gear to avoid the whip-lash lol.I gave them a call.

part# 13766 for 1999 cummins 180 amp I just got mine ordered.

Edited by Jolsen
  • Like 1

Alternator installed. I had to make the ground loop hole bigger to fit over the bigger stud on the new alternator. but otherwise when on great.:woot: My TC issue seems to be fixed now. I will be taking the truck on a 100 mile trip tomorrow morning to town to get the tabs for the motorcycle and drop the tax paperwork off.

• Like 2