• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Opinions needed on dash swap

After my new paint job is complete, sometime early spring, I'm going to move on to the dash replacement. I've decided I am going to replace dash versus a dash cover glued on. Since I am going that route, the heater core will be accessible. Should I go ahead and replace it too even if it's not leaking? Wasn't sure how widespread the leaky heater core problem is. I have 108k miles.

I dont believe either the heater core or evaporator are weak spots in the Dodge. Like any other vehicle they can fail. If they are still working fine then you have a choice on replacing or not. I had a leaky evaporator and busted dash. I did replace the heater core while I had the box out. I had about 240k on mine when the evaporator started leaking. 

I also used the LMC dash replacement. Fit great and still looks good after 4 years or more, @deehammerthread is good reference and Mike has a article here about pulling the dash also.

x2 on LMC dash replacement. TBo, member on this forum and a dodge tech, did mine and it looks factory, ever so slight color variation. LMC dash bezel is good too.

Even though I didn't have heater core or evaporator issues, I had the dash and all those parts replaced while it was apart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I think LMC is pretty Good. I just changed out the lower hinges on my 1st gen doors today and they are good quality. Not some nock off ,they are Canadian made.

Now no more whistling doors and they close nice without pulling off the inside panel.

I have replaced 2 dashes with LMC's and they are nice pieces. Only bad thing is they aren't going to fix your headlight switch mount or some of your dash bezel holes as those are part of the main plastic frame. I was able to use some fiberglass resin and thin fiberglass material to repair headlight switch mount mounting holes. Hope this helps :thumbup2:

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, BBHD said:

I have replaced 2 dashes with LMC's and they are nice pieces. Only bad thing is they aren't going to fix your headlight switch mount or some of your dash bezel holes as those are part of the main plastic frame. I was able to use some fiberglass resin and thin fiberglass material to repair headlight switch mount mounting holes. Hope this helps :thumbup2:

That sucks, good to know ahead of time though so I don't freak out when it arrives.  Thanks for the heads up. 

here they are for comparison. Genos price has come down since I bought my LMC several years back as I remember.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/dodge-ram-replacement-dash-drd8-2/dashtops

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=37

You get to be the judge now. I used the washers that LMC sells. Seemed like cheap insurance at the time.

Just my 2 cents, I've done the LMC dash replacement and it's been holding up going on 3 years now.  Since you have it out I would go ahead and do both your heater core and your evaporator.  Those are two things you do not want to have to deal with later down the road.  I don't remember either of them necessarily being deal breaker with the price especially when you're comparing to the cost of the dash.

• Like 1