• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline Economy and MPG

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

340666 - 340368 = 298 / 13.948 = 21.36 MPG

I was hoping for more. I guess ill have to get busy putting effort into this beast. I need to at least be mid 20s which to me is 24 to 26 MPG consistently. I'm at least above average for most here on the website.

Just doing some math 300 miles ÷ 12 gallons is 25 MPG. I was at 13.9 gallons at 298 miles. So I've got to shave off 2 gallons of consumption in 300 miles.

Ill get there. Back to checking drag items like brakes, parking brakes, etc. Valve lash check again and go tight side again on the 0.008 and 0.018 again. Injectors with higher pop pressure. I'm going to do it.

I have 4.10 gears I wish it was 3.73… with my 275/85/17s I could get some decent OD rpms on the highway :-)

Hey what does DAP charge to up the pop pressure? Wonder if it's worth sending them back for it

Hey what does DAP charge to up the pop pressure? Wonder if it's worth sending them back for it

• Owner

Fuel log...

340955 - 340666 = 289 ÷ 12.935 = 22.34 MPG.

Price: 3.299

I'm happy to report the MPG display is very close to correct about 0.2 gallons off. This is 0.98 MPG gain over last tank. Only change to the tune is dropped 1 degree of cruise timing.

Catch me if you can...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I've got to apologize for not posting MPG logs... 

340951 - 340666 = 285 ÷ 12.935 = 22.03 MPG (5/1/18)

341245 - 340955 = 290 ÷ 13.726 = 21.12 MPG (5/3/18)

341541 - 341245 = 296 ÷ 14.563 = 20.32 MPG (5/5/18) Trailer towing (~30 miles)

341787 - 341541 = 246 ÷ 11.286 = 21.79 MPG (5/8/18)

Here we are up to date... 21.49 Avg MPG.

• Owner

A better method of displaying my logs. 

may.png

I've added a row for trailer towing. The first RV listed is a 30 mile round trip to town to fill the propane tanks and the water tank was empty. Roughly 7,500-pound trailer. The second was a 140 mile trip from home to Parma, ID. I filled up in Payette, ID and then continued on. The next fill will be also labeled towing being I still was hitched. There are roughly 15 gallons of water on board. 

My biggest battle is I might start the morning with the calm weather then end up returning home with high winds and thunderstorms. Just when I thought I was going to record an awesome trip it's blown away by high winds.

Another note my current tune works awesome on towing. I've not updated the download of it yet. Level 3 (CanBus only) cruise set for 55 MPH on 6% grade will tip barely 1,000*F EGT's. You can stand on the throttle and it will barely reach 1,200*F never goes past. No back down used on EGT's. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

BETA TESTING... CRAZY HIGH CRUISE TIMING.

DISCLAIMER - DO NOT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

I've learned something new I'll share with everyone. 

Timing. I'm finding that some of the limits people been tossing out as protection but I'm finding that there is a way to crank these truck up pretty darn high in timing. At 55 MPH I'm running 1,600 RPM with 23 degrees of cruise timing. This has brought my engine load down to 20% on a 1% grade uphill from Riggins to Home. Put this all together now. 

Current Timing - 15, 18, 22, 25, 28

Max Load Timing Offset 2*

Low PSI Timing reduct 5*

Timing Reduct Scaling 50%

Light Throttle Timing Adv 7*

Light Throttle Load Limit 25%

Yeap you are seeing that right. It's not a typo. 7* of Cruise Timing stacked on 15* of 1500 RPM band for 22* cruise timing. Now the reason for the 15* of timing in the 1500 band is because of the Max load offset it a -2* of timing. So as load goes down the amount of retard is increased. So just breaking over the 25% limit I see roughly 13.5* to 14.0* of performance timing based on load.

Now as you continue to add cruise timing you MUST pull Light Throttle Load Limit down lower. Don't leave it higher than needed to hold cruise state on flat ground. You will find that there is a very narrow band of load that engine runs smoothly without excessive knock exceed the load too far the knock get very pronounced. So when I started with about 4* fo cruise timing you can safely hold it for 30% of engine load. As I continued to raise the cruise timing I keep find that knock coming so as I kept heading up the engine load kept falling. Now my flat cruise engine load is just above an idle floating 12-17% engine load at 55 MPH

What I've got is a tune at 55 MPH climbing a 1% grade can hold nearly ZERO boost and EGT's floating 575-625*F and engine load stay below 25% most of the way no problem. The neat part is as the engine load crosses the 25% limit the timing drops instantly and turbo comes to life building boost to about 2-4 PSI to over come the increase of grade then as load falls the timing jumps back up and boost falls to near ZERO. 

INFO: +75HP VCO Injectors (7 x 0.0085) and Hybrid 35/40 (60/60/12)

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Now if my weather would settle down and just be calm (winds) and stable temperatures I bet I can start reaching back up in the mid 20's. Seems like every time I come home from Ontario, OR the thunderheads start building, winds start up and the whole MPG number game goes out the window. Engine load rises above my break point and I lose the cruise timing for way more time than I wanted.