• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline Economy and MPG

Mopar1973Man

I see. Did you get a hot rod vp44? And what are the injectors your getting?( Not sure what the 7x .008 means) I feel the same way with the smoke, I honestly could care less about rolling coal, in fact I'd rather not have it smoke, but rather would have clean horsepower and good mpg. I'm just curious because I'm probably guna get a programmer when I get my fuel psi fixed, (using the edge ex now)and the comp was my first choice. But I'll just keep an eye on your thread and see how things change when the warmer weather hits the inland Northwest and summer diesel is out. 

• Owner
5 hours ago, Alexio Auditore said:

Did you get a hot rod vp44?

No. I'm still running a stock SO pump.

5 hours ago, Alexio Auditore said:

And what are the injectors your getting?( Not sure what the 7x .008 means)

Basically, they would be +75HP injectors but with the pintle mods that are done, it should flow like a +90HP injector.

I still think the Quadzilla is well worth it yet. Comparing Edge to Quadzilla price per HP its still way cheaper. The fact that timing variable is now open for use to tune against is very difficult since we can't see what Edge has for timing curve and what not. I can see what stock timing is like but its a question of how much timing and when (RPM wise). That being said the injectors size also is the other factor smaller injectors tend to like less timing where larger injectors like more timing.

• Like 2

Yea Mike's setup, tuning, and driving as been to dynamic to show results similar to the edge yet.  2 different situations.

He has posted some very high mpg numbers still.

When summer comes around I am sure his numbers will be eye opening.  My highway travels have shown a very steady 24-25 mpg at 60-65 mph.

Also keep in mind that most won't mess around with the tune as much as Mike does.  My daily tune hasn't changed in a very long time.  

As for power the quad should put down more power.  Mike said there was quite a difference when he switched.

So Mike are your new injectors VCO or Sac. And why the jump up in size? I have followed this with great interest and am also looking into new injectors and a Quad. I have a He351ve with a Banshee controller. I believe they will work great together.

• Owner
1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Also keep in mind that most won't mess around with the tune as much as Mike does.  My daily tune hasn't changed in a very long time.

Also, keep in mind I was fighting the failing injectors that were most likely popping early and low pop pressures so timing was wild on my end. So now with my new injectors I can finally build a tune that I'll most likely leave alone.

36 minutes ago, Concretevz said:

So Mike are your new injectors VCO or Sac.

SAC

Because now with the Quadzilla you have a way better control of larger injectors. Look at @Me78569 and @TFaoro both with larger injectors and smokefree tuning. Now is it possible to get high MPG's with my setup? Don't know but...

Brown truck is coming tomorrow with a turbo bearing kit and a set of  7x0.008 SAC Injectors. (Opps its suppose to be 7x0.0085 injectors...) :doh:

https://dieselautopower.com/diesel-auto-power-75hp-performance-injectors-7x0-0085-sac-vp7x85sac75/

https://dieselautopower.com/holset-genuine-hx35-rebuild-kit-3575169/

Edited by Mopar1973Man

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Because now with the Quadzilla you have a way better control of larger injectors. Look at @Me78569 and @TFaoro both with larger injectors and smokefree tuning. Now is it possible to get high MPG's with my setup? Don't know but...

Very clean with 7x.013 sac injectors. Now I did have a haze at idle because they were so big, but there was no more than a very slight haze upon hard acceleration. 

I think I topped at 22 or so mpg, but I can't remember exactly. Not too shabby for injectors of that size. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alexio Auditore said:

24 to 25!?! I have tried all I can to get good mpg. Best I've seen is 21 going 65 from CDA to Payette. I'm definitely leaning towards the quad already, not sure what else to do for better mpg either. But look forward to hearing more results.

If you watch what happens with OEM timing it becomes VERY obvious how important timing is to good MPG.  As soon as you are able to get timing up where it needs to be for  mpg then you get much better mpg.  

as soon as load increase beyond ~%25 then timing drops like a rock and your mpg does the same.  

If the tuner you use only adds timing on top of OEM you will see the same drop in timing as you get up beyond %25 load and mpg starts to fall

Thats a huge perk of the Quadzilla's Cruise timing function.  It allows you to set a "cruise only" timing map that is only active when you are at cruise state. 

• Like 2

• Owner
1 hour ago, Alexio Auditore said:

So the only quad I'm seeing for sale is the adrenaline iquadBT. Is this the one you are running @Mopar1973Man? Or is it the v2? 

That's is what I'm running. The Quadzilla Adrenaline iQuadBT.

http://quadzillapower.com/2002-dodge-5-9l-cummins-adrenaline-with-iquadbt/

Then stop back over and pick up the flash here on the site.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Quadzilla will flash it for you if you ask them to.  But it is a VERY good idea to setup your computer to flash tunes as well.  You never know if something will get updated or maybe you just want to try out an older tune.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 2

• Owner
1 hour ago, Concretevz said:

What kind of pintle mods did they do.

According to Jacob @dieselautopower it about changing some of the parts to allow the pintle to stroke long in distance giving a larger flow of fuel before it closes again. I would just suggest you call Jacob and ask him. I'm kind of my last leg of the day and tired.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Time to post March fuel logs again.

march fuel log.jpg

I covered more ground this last month. Now take notice I was getting a nice gain till March 11 then went down hill. This is the point at which I pulled the +50HP injectors and install the stock injectors. March 27 was my trip down to Parma, ID with the RV. Nearly 15 MPG towing 8,000 pound, 31 foot RV. Not too shabby. Best was 18.5 MPG on stock injectors pretty weak in my book. I'm not going to bother post March's OBDLink logs bein they are train wreck since I never bother to re-calibrate for the stock injectors. 

So now that I install the 7x0.0085 SAC Injectors we'll see where this goes now. 

I will mention there is clues of injector issues coming. Idle speeds will be higher than normal. Like the end of the +50HP they were idling almost 900 RPM's at times. Typically floated around 870 RPM's. Then the random miss fire at idle on hot engine. Light blue haze on morning start ups. All clues the injectors where going. Even my Stock injectors are idling lower as well like 820-830 RPM's. Not to hijack my MPG thread but injector performance is key to how the MPG's are going to be. 

I'll post my tune as soon as I get this all sorted out...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

On 3/11/2017 at 3:04 PM, Me78569 said:

Hmmmmm. Interesting. My performance tune netted almost 21 mpgs on a trip this weekend. My designated no smoke/mpg tune has yet to top 20mpg. Same Cruise timing between the two. The rpm timing is a fuz different. Not much. Same driving habits. Tune was set to kill. Things that make you go hmmm. 

• Owner

Timing wise you have to base it off of either MPG logs which is kind of difficult being it never going to be the exact repeatable trip day in and out. The other way I'm trying to figure out is by ear. Just being able to listen to the timing rattle. What @Me78569 is suggesting is ~19* at 55 MPH and ~20* at 65 MPH is a good starting point. Your injection pump and injector health is key to making this work too. Like myself with injectors getting flaky was creating a timing issue in it own way. This is why I was battle the start of this thread attempting to gain a foothold of this. Now with fresh injectors, I should be able to get back in the high numbers now. The end of winterized fuel is coming to a close is going to help a bunch then with the warming weather and warmer air I should start gaining back my high placement again. Time will tell.