• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline Economy and MPG

Mopar1973Man

37 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

The lift and tires is what's killing your MPG's.  i'd bet that you went back to stock hight, and stock tires you'd be up to the 19-20 range.  i don't think the box and transfer tank are hurting you very much.

Except prior to me putting the 2.5” springs and the mud tires on I had been getting the same exact 15-16 mpg. Didn’t notice any decrease in mpg and this was before I got the quad. So it’s either my weight/aerodynamics or that I’m just gunna have to live with this gas mileage until this summer when I get bigger injectors 

• 1 month later...

Just an update on my load %. Ditched the toolbox and got a topper. I noticed a 5% decrease at cruising speeds! Haven’t filled my truck all the way up in a while to check my mpgs but I’m assuming they’ve gone up a little unless the cold weather is taking effect on them too. I should have gotten a topper sooner! Holds all my ice fishing gear perfectly and dry out of the snow 

• Owner

Finally!!! Yeah!

Broke 21.06 MPG. Finally got the tuning figured out. 297 miles and filled up with 14.096 gallons giving me 21.06 MPG. This is still with winterized #2 diesel and winter cold conditions ranging from zero to about 30*F.

Current tune

iQuad-Economy-2018-01-06-03.53.551250340273.json

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Finally!!! Yeah!

Broke 21.06 MPG. Finally got the tuning figured out. 297 miles and filled up with 14.096 gallons giving me 21.06 MPG. This is still with winterized #2 diesel and winter cold conditions ranging from zero to about 30*F.

Current tune

iQuad-Economy-2018-01-06-03.53.551250340273.json

Is this with or without wire tap? 21mpg is pretty impressive. Congrats 

38 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

Any chance you can post the tune details? In order to view it in iQuad I have to change my vehicle type.

I end up just switching my vehicle type to regular v2 and then take screenshots of the tune details. Only downfall is you got to set your settings every time you change profiles ?

@kzimmer

It wouldn’t let me upload the first 2 pics but here’s the info:

power lvls: 7

rpm limit: 3200

valet: 90%

pump stretch: 2200

tps max: 100

tps min: 10

min pump: 0

pump low boost: 0

boost scale: 30

max load: 1

A4997FD5-081B-4142-9197-03B3B2C654C3.jpeg.3fe195c8d29abe19e3c71df7da04a776.jpegA85C1080-65D1-4D75-8DD0-67785F3347E7.jpeg.4ac3ab32163d9330d4d7852de4c3c0ce.jpegCB3F828A-B381-46F7-884C-934360B1DAC6.jpeg.af8a370b8d7c2c86794102fc6aa37d1a.jpeg

D14F6D08-3851-47FD-9E4A-57735F68ED3F.jpeg.6ab3223136ed67d6d82db4dfc0c70181.jpeg

• Owner
1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

What speed is best with your tune Mike.

Typically I'm between 60-65 MPH. All the highways I travel is mostly 65 MPH there are a few stretches of 55 MPH. With the tune above my typically rolling flat ground engine load is about 20-22%. Not bad. Even at 65 I'm still barely below 25%.

Like tonight I rolled my 130 miles home and a bit more than 1/16 of a tank. I'm very pleased. Heavy fog in a few valleys. Night time temperature floating around 25-30*F depending where I was at.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I'm extremely pleased with this tune. Made my run from Ontario, OR to home then back to Boise, ID. This trip I stayed to speed limit most of the time. This includes interstate travel to 80 MPH. 298 miles and 15.009 gallons netted 19.85 MPG. At 80 MPH timing is at 21* for cruise and performance timing should be 18* @ 2300 RPM. My engine load floated back and forth 22 to 30% at 80 MPH. I'm loving this tune in the 2,000 bracket. I need to tweak the lower band just a bit.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

I've learned a lot so far. 

Light Throttle Load Limit (Percent) - Mopar1973Man Suggested Setting 25%

This value should be built around the 65 MPH speed on flat ground. That is roughly 1,900 RPM for most stock configured trucks with normal tire sizes. If you have to reach above 30% you need to look into reducing some of your rolling resistance. Setting above 30% typically will reduce MPG and efficiency timing should not be up in cruise mode with that high if engine load. If you are capable of setting below 25% is even better. You do not want to be able to hold cruise solid above 65 MPH it should flip-flop in and out of cruise even at 80 MPH. Just for point of reference 65 MPH can hold roughly 20-22% solid on flat ground. 

Max Load Timing Offset

This value is how much retarding you start from and lead up to your performance timing. At first, this seemed counterproductive but actually its need to build power are you transition from cruise to power mode. This really does shine when your rolling along flat ground and start to climb a hill. This value like in my case is 2* so there is a 2* ramp up from low load to set timing of the RPM band. For example my 2K band is 17* so I'm going to have roughly a 2* drop in timing just as I drop cruise timing which I see roughly 15* as the load increase from there that amount of retarding will taper off to ZERO. This really does help a bunch with building boost and power. Another example of this setting at 80 MPH cruise timing is ~21* and then it drops out of cruise to performance timing and drops to ~18* this is at 2,300 RPM and my 2,500 RPM setting is 20* on the Quadzilla.Quadzilla calls for a default setting of 3 but understanding the lower the number the higher you stay in timing. I'll continue to suggest that "If in doubt retard it out...". Better chances of hitting the mark leaning towards retard than advanced.

Remember the more to add retard to the timing the more you bring the peak of the torque curve back down into the lower RPM range again. 

So the only thing I've changed since post the last tune file is I changed my Max Load Timing Offset from 1* to 2* which really helped the low-end response at 55 MPH and slower speeds. 

Engine Load Vs. Timing

When your building of your daily or efficiency tune and your engine load is increasing and kicking you out of cruise more often then you have gone the wrong direction. Anytime an adjustment increases engine load you now made the tune that much more inefficient. Engine load and Quadzilla Fuel number are the same. Basically, it's just the Fuel number converted to 0 to 100% value. So if your cruising engine load number is higher than 25% you basically above 1,023 Quadzilla fuel value. The whole secret is to keep your engine load as low as possible for efficiency designed tunes.

Suggestion by me is to only change one value at a time and test drive that value for few tanks of fuel. Being I fill every trip back and forth to Ontario, OR I can assess my change over a single week and determine if the change was good or bad.  So if you change to many values are once or make to big of a change you can be fighting poor efficiency for a very long time. What I needed was a method of being able to see if the change I made where good or bad without having to drive a tank of fuel through. There is way to many variables that will impact MPG and skew your tuning data. Like for me extended idle times, warm up, weather, road conditions, etc. So This where I figure out the Engine Load vs tuning.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

Rather tough for any video work till I get past winter time. Like today I'm expecting crappy numbers being running 4WD and slush covered highway from home to Weiser, ID. Then the multiple times passing scared people crawling at 25 to 35 MPH. Then set my cruise at 65 MPH. 235's sure do bite the highway good.

1515696868756570388440.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

@Mopar1973Man What is a safe light load % in your opinion? My big turd is around 34-35% going 65mph. I plan on cab swapping the truck this summer and I’ll be redoing all by brakes in hopes that it will bring this down a little. I’m also thinking about lowering the entire truck a couple inches. But for now I’m stuck with what I got. I keep getting varying opinions on what I should set my load to. I’m on stock injectors still and no studs. Just filled up my gas tank and am running your “21 mpg” tune on lvl 3 and am wanting to get your opinion on why load % I should set it to. Thanks 

it really depends on your injectors,  Engine load will be significantly reduced as you climb in injector size.  

On stock injectors %35 is pretty typical.  It's not really a safe vs not safe in this situtation.

Say Mike needs 100 hp to move down the road, same from your truck, same for my truck, but the duration command will be %35 on yours %25 on his, and 15% on mine. same power to the road.   

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

yes, that setting will vary for each truck signficantly moving down the road.  It's really just a % used of possible power.  My truck has a much higher possible power level than yours so my % for cruise state will be way lower.  

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Me78569  when I set my Light throttle percent down to 15 because I am running 100 horse injectors with a bigger turbo why does my timing get significantly reduced IE, if I am going 70 miles an hour with my light load percentage at 15 my timing is only 16. However if I set my light loan to 30% my timing jumps up to 21° at the same speed why is that?