• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The crf450ish random question thread.

My opinions.

1. My AD has i believe the blue Parker fuel hose. I have seen cracking in mine also. Its just on surface but still cocerns me. I am hoping Eric at Vulcan performance has a kit made up to replace the lines with in total. Thats on my to do list.

2. I cant advise on the TC.

3. Mechanical or electric?? Folks swear by both. I have lost 2 pumps on the AD in the past 9 years, both under warranty. My new one is a 4g so hopefully it will last longer than me. Many members here run the Fuel Boss and love them. You might check with FASS and see if you can just swap the pump head to the Titanium.

4. Can't  advise on the one piece. I plan to stick with the 2 piece. It has served me well for 478k miles and all original. I did find some new old stock u joints to replace them with one day. No luck on the carrier bearing. 

5. Ball joints, now that will spark a conversation there. @Me78569 bought the Spicers and had piss poor results. Worn out in 20k or so I believe. I swapped out the OE at 240k with Moog and 240k later they are still holding up. They seemed to have gotten a bad after Federal Mogul bought them out about the time I bought mine. I did have to replace the track bar with around 140k on it with the same Mogg part and it now has about 100k on it and is still tight. 

All that being said I still might go Moog if I have to replace again, but dont know for sure. Others will have more opinions on that.

6. Exhaust. A 4" is more than enough unless you plan on big HP, much more than you will see even with the quad. I put a 4" on mine backin 06 and never noticed much difference with it from stock 3". Sounds good too with out a ton noise.

Good luck with your change in life and may it bring what you and your family seek.

Dave

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

@dripley Thank you for your feedback! I didn't even think about swapping the FASS pump head onto the titanium unit. I'll look into that. Its unfortunate that Moog was bought out. It seems that literally EVERYTHING these days is about profit and not at all about customer satisfaction. I like the sound of the 5" straight pipe...just sounds wicked as hell, especially when the engine was under load. Going to a 4" w/ a muffler seems like the right choice anyway. 

My 4" has a flowm thru muffler, Banks, but still puts out a nice sound. Not straight pipe mind you, but nice to the ear. Been thinking about a FTE resonator and taking the muffler out but we shall see. I hear it puts out a good sound.

I also never had any issues with egt's on the 4". And thats pulling a 15k 5th wheel. Even in the Blue Ridge here.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:06 PM, Royal Squire said:

Can you just add a muffler or resonator to your 5” and save a few bucks?

I actually had one of those "big dog" mufflers. It was 52" long end to end from diamond eye. I ended up taking it off and selling it on Craigslist. I guess I could try one of those resonators. Wouldn't hurt. If it doesn't do what I need it to, I'm sure someone on Craigslist here in Western wa will scoop it up quick. 

On 8/11/2019 at 3:03 PM, dripley said:

5. Ball joints, now that will spark a conversation there. @Me78569 bought the Spicers and had piss poor results. Worn out in 20k or so I believe. I swapped out the OE at 240k with Moog and 240k later they are still holding up. They seemed to have gotten a bad after Federal Mogul bought them out about the time I bought mine. I did have to replace the track bar with around 140k on it with the same Mogg part and it now has about 100k on it and is still tight. 

I put 'original' Spicer joints in since the OEM ones lasted pretty long. 12k later I was doing it again. I have a thread with a video somewhere on here showing the worn out sloppy 12k joint. I won't buy Spicer again. I have a pair of axle joints laying on the shelf and I'm half scared to use them. I went with AC Delco ball joints this time and so far so good. Time will tell

Edited by dave110

9 hours ago, dave110 said:

I put 'original' Spicer joints in since the OEM ones lasted pretty long. 12k later I was doing it again. I have a thread with a video somewhere on here showing the worn out sloppy 12k joint. I won't buy Spicer again. I have a pair of axle joints laying on the shelf and I'm half scared to use them. I went with AC Delco ball joints this time and so far so good. Time will tell

I think the key word there is "original". Not sure they exist anymore, especially the 01 and 02. The OE were sealed and evidently more robust than todays even from Spicer. I purchased the MOOG and it seemed like the next day I started to hear bad things about them. I felt much better about them when they surpassed 50k. 

• 10 months later...

Hey guys n gals....been a long time since I've been on the forum, let alone done anything to my truck. 

Just picked up a used stainless diesel manifold for $450 on eBay from a trusted seller. Very happy. Haven't put it on yet. This is a modification I've wanted to do for a long time. One of the steps in my overall goals for the truck. Now that life isn't kicking me in the nu**, I can get back to doing the things I love.

I also need to put a full set of brakes on my truck. I'm just going with OEM everything. I'm replacing all 4 calipers and rotors and using ceramic pads, haven't figured out which brand of pads to go with yet. 

Looking on Genos garage and elsewhere, I feel like Geno's has the best prices, expect for the calipers, they don't carry those. I sourced those OEM mopar NOS on eBay from a trusted seller also (I've had great luck with eBay over the years). 

Also, how do I make a donation on here? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Don't do ceramic pads they tend to wear the rotors fast. I use econmy pads with exhaust brake and getting 200k miles of service.

Any suggestions on pads that create minimal brake dust?

4 hours ago, crf450ish said:

Also, how do I make a donation on here? Thanks. 

We are on subscription bassis. $20 to $45 a year depending on what you want. There is also some montly plans. Just go to subscriptions at the top of the page or click the 3 horizontal bars and it will pop up. Then pick your poison.

I should add that I put ceramic on mine and they the are working well with no dust but most lkely will have change my rotors when it is time for a brake job. They are harsh on the rotor. I got these off of rock auto for less than 100 bucks.

• Owner
2 hours ago, crf450ish said:

Any suggestions on pads that create minimal brake dust?

Exhaust brake... No dust, no wear period. Since I use a exhaust brake for 90% of all stopping my brakes don't wear at all 200k miles easy on a set of economy NAPA pads. No dust on the wheels till way down the road. 

Then for like myself I grab a bottle of Home Depot degreaser concentrate. Spray the wheels and wait maybe 30 to 60 seconds and hit them with the power washer and look like new again. Just did the demo on Ford 7.3L diesel two days again the owner was super happy he doesn't need to scrub wheels anymore. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Good read.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Exhaust brake... No dust, no wear period. Since I use a exhaust brake for 90% of all stopping my brakes don't wear at all 200k miles easy on a set of economy NAPA pads. No dust on the wheels till way down the road.

My EB quit working a while back or I would using the cheaper pads. They worked great with the e brake. Very little dust also.

Edit:

9sfCjEy.png

GZSeyV0.png

t21LcMq.png

y4LtoHK.png

t21LcMq.png

I just ordered the 6 pack of exhaust flange gaskets from stainless diesel as well as a couple turbo oil cooler coupling gaskets, and a couple t3 flange gaskets. I'm also replacing the exhaust manifold studs with grade 8 black iron studs & 12 point nuts. Same stuff we use in the steam drums in powerplant generation boilers. I'm pretty excited. 

On 8/11/2019 at 1:49 PM, dripley said:

My 4" has a flowm thru muffler, Banks, but still puts out a nice sound. Not straight pipe mind you, but nice to the ear. Been thinking about a FTE resonator and taking the muffler out but we shall see. I hear it puts out a good sound.

I also never had any issues with egt's on the 4". And thats pulling a 15k 5th wheel. Even in the Blue Ridge here.

6LEWZYG.png

a9Scyt4.png

w8AqdCg.png

I just installed one of these a couple weeks ago. Wayy better than a muffler in my opinion. EGTs still the same as they were with the straight pipe, drone is gone, obnoxious thundering sound is gone (never thought I'd say that, but hey I guess I'm getting older). Not bad for $65 free shipping. 

Edited by crf450ish

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Funny... I just went back to straight pipe 4 inch.

I probably should have done that to begin with. Hindsight is 20/20... But my ego back then wouldn't allow me to settle for anything less that the largest exhaust available. :whistle:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it a good idea to wrap the exhaust manifold with exhaust wrap? The stainless diesel manifolds, being stainless, really hang onto the heat once the engine is shut down. At face value, it seems to me that properly wrapping the manifold will eliminate a lot of residual heat once the engine is shut off. 

However, in every single under the hood picture I've seen on here and cumminsforum as well as Instagram and other social media, not once has there been a manifold wrapped with exhaust wrap. So that begs the question, what am I missing? 

• Owner
5 hours ago, crf450ish said:

Is it a good idea to wrap the exhaust manifold with exhaust wrap?

If in northern states that use salt NO! It will rot the exhaust manifold and down pipe quickly.

At face value, it seems to me that properly wrapping the manifold will eliminate a lot of residual heat once the engine is shut off. 

Not really a problem. Engine is off and cooling naturally. Up here in Idaho being the summers are much cooler this year I don't hold heat very long at all. Engine oil runs between 165 to 175*F. Coolant typically falls to 188*F and then Quadzilla drops the ignition. Without the wrap it drops temperature quickly being exposed to the air. 

However, in every single under the hood picture I've seen on here and cumminsforum as well as Instagram and other social media, not once has there been a manifold wrapped with exhaust wrap. So that begs the question, what am I missing? 

Different story for performance. Now if your trying to get all that expanding heat energy through the turbo you would wrap the manifold holding the heat into the manifold so every little bit of expanding heat can be shoved into the turbo. There is no cooling down of the gasses from the head to the turbo. 

• Thanks 1